Moving out at 18?

Hi I’m 18 and I live in a toxic environment at home. I’m still a highschool student but I have a stable job. If I run away from home, can my parents do anything about it? I also still want to attend school and graduate and I’m afraid my parents will report to the school that I ran away from home. Will the school do anything about it? Can the school get me in trouble and send me back to my parents?

If you are 18, you are of legal age in the US and you can do as you want.

In the words of an old song, Isabella, "Running away will never change you. It will only change the view."  This song applies to you right now, in more ways than one.

What you need to do is make an effort to SOLVE whatever problem is happening in your house, instead of just throwing in the towel and quitting. Lots of teens your age have issues with their parents. You may be 18 years old and a legal adult, but until you graduate from high school, you are still dependent on your parents for just about everything you need. Running away isn't going to change that- and worse, it may give your parents a real reason to disown you and kick you out of their lives for good.

In your shoes, I'd make an appointment to talk to your counselor at school, and the psychologist, if your school has one, and tell them what's really happening at home. And that means telling them everything, even if there's stuff that upsets you or makes you uncomfortable. Let them help you- because I am sure they will want to. You also need to level with them about your intention to split and leave home. People like the counselor are professionals who take an oath to protect your privacy, so there's no need to worry that they'll spread rumors about you or report what you say to your folks. Legally, they can't do that without your permission. And someone like that may have an advantage in that they can afford to be objective and look at the situation you're in from a different perspective. Without having an emotional stake in what's going on, they might just be able to propose some solutions for you that will let you stay at home awhile longer, at least until you're ready to leave for college or the workplace.

No matter what happens, you've got to make sure you graduate and get your diploma. That is your ticket out of the situation at home, for sure. And without it, your chances of breaking free aren't very good.

• Cu Tie

Since you are 18, if you decide to run away from home, there is nothing your parents can do about it.

However, since you are in high school, I recommend trying out for your school's basketball team this season. In that way, you can tell your coach about your hardship, and he/she can let you stay for the meantime until you have enough money to get a permanent home.

Bad Idea, just wait till you graduate

• Stoo

You're not running away - you're leaving.  Big difference.  Leavng means you do it on your own accord.  But you're also now 100% responsible for everything in your life, from housing to food to cell phone/internet bills to whatever else you might be taking for granted here.  Your parents would have zero obligations to pay for any of it - and at 18, they can kick you out themselves, also with no obligations.  

It is basically impossible to pay for things on a part time job in most locations.  Your lifestyle will change quite drastically and you'll have to make to do with *a lot* less, for a long period of time too.

Talk this out with counselors to see if you're even remotely thinking this through correctly.  Odds are they'll tell you to grin and bare it for a bit, until you graduate - then look to go to college somewhere else. 

But if it's not just some emo bullshît, but actually a danger to your well-being - there might be other options available to you. If it is just a teenage fantasy plan, you'll grow out of it, and probably repair your relationship with your parents over time and some distance.  If you leave on a ill-thought out whim, that'll probably just make things worse.

Also consider family counseling here to solve what's at the core of the problem.  That's how responsible adults work things out. 

• NONAME
      3 weeks agoReport

who are you...thats some answer...how old are you...your wise none the less

Running away is not the answer. You can do it without consequences because you are legally an adult. If your school has a counselor talk to him/her to see if you can come up with an amicable solution to your situation.

• marty

If you're 18 then you can walk away from home at anytime without anybody being able to stop you. The law is on your side. The school will allow you to finish as long as you're within the school's district. Get that diploma.