Is it okay for a parent to spank their child in public?

Two days ago I saw one of my former co-worker's shopping and her child was being disobedient, she told him twice to behave himself, he still refused and she gives him a good smack on his bottom to get him to behave himself.

I totally flinched seeing her smack her child on his bottom and ended up leaving her alone because I felt it wasn't the best time to catch up with her.

Favorite Answer

I'm not okay with spanking in the first place but in public is definitely not appropriate no matter what you believe. No matter what anyone says, a little smack to the bottom can very well be interpreted by a child as hitting. I was never given more than that but because I didn't quite get that it wasn't regular hitting and it apparently stimulated my genitals (makes me cringe to say that but it's true), I now have serious issues with my mom and a spanking fetish that grosses me out because I keep picturing her. You never know how a kid will react. Sorry I got off topic. Anyways, doing it in public adds insult to injury. Discipline should not be done in a way that is going to humiliate the child. I've seen that cause issues as well. 

And by not speaking up, you basically condoned the behavior, Garfield. Not to mention the message that you sent to the child, which is that hitting someone is the best way to solve a problem with that person. Spanking is like all other forms of abuse, including bullying. At its core, it's about one thing and one thing only: POWER. What adults who spank don't seem to get or understand is that in many respects, they are behaving even worse than their children. Spanking is a sign of real emotional IMMATURITY on the part of the adult who is doing the hitting. They may try to rationalize what they are doing by saying that they're teaching the child something, or that it will make the kid behave better- but NEITHER of these things is true. Oh, yeah, they're teaching the child a lesson, all right- but it's a lesson that NO CHILD should ever have to learn. You CAN'T TEACH ANYONE- whether adult or child- that it is wrong to hit others and use violence and aggression to solve problems BY HITTING THEM. It's physically and psychologically IMPOSSIBLE to do this, and it can be compared in some ways to trying to prove a negative in science or count to infinity in mathematics- it's an impossible, unattainable goal.

Spanking is wrong, period.Doesn't matter where it happens, whether public or private. It's still abuse, and it's still wrong.There are far better ways to deal with misbehavior than hauling off and slugging a kid.

All research shows that spanking children leads to only negative outcomes. Children who are spanked rank lower on behavioral tests and higher on mal-adjustment tests than children who are not.

• Star_of_Darkness
      4 weeks agoReport

Lie harder. Only a very small amount of so called research 'proves' that since the so called research was of ABUSED and retarded children and its been well proven spanking doesn't do any real harm and its good for kids

do it at home bare bottomed

• Dr. D

Scientific research has been done and the verdict is that spanking is always wrong, public or private. It is usually done in desperation, and it really doesn't fix anything. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/insight-th...

"see something. say something." It should apply to any wrongful act.

• marty

Absolutely,  more parents should do that as far as I'm concerned.  Time outs dont seem to work when you see these kids acting unruly and defying their parents in public locations.

No, of course not. It’s actually illegal to hit your children in my country.

• David

She would be better taking him somewhere private, like a rest room or something.

• Sparky

I'd rather see a parent give a number of warnings and then follow through with a minor punishment than let the kid get away with bad behaviour