Do you prefer the name Karina as a Russian name or a Latin name?

Favorite Answer

I would prefer KATRINA, many mispronounce & misspell Karina.

The name Karina is a French Name. In French  the meaning of the name Karina is: Pure, clear.  A Form of the Latin Katharina, from the Greek Aikaterina.

You do know that many so-called Russian names are really derived from Latin/European names. Tsar Nicolas for example is derived from the Greek word for victorious. Anna is the Russian Anne or Ann.

And Karina, that's Karen in English.

My point, the Russians have borrowed a lot of things from the western Europeans...including many of their common names. Even their Cyrillic alphabet is borrowed from other languages; Greek and Latin primarily.

They did make up a few letters of their own. For example АБВГДЕЖ is ABCDEFG in Russian. Note the A and E are the same as ours, but the D is the Greek delta. The other letters are purely Russian makes. And some are Latin letters but with totally different sounds. Their B, for example, sounds like the V. For example ВОДЫ sounds like VODY (it means water).

• Latin because it is a Latin name and is Latin for precious. It means pure; beloved one

I prefer it as a Latin name and I think it's a pretty name

Latina. Go girl.