Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

Do you agree with the way my dad views me?

-my dad has a job that pays about $230k per year

-my job pays about $70k per year

My dad views me as someone who's 'below' him if that makes sense. For example, he views me as not very successful and someone who didn't achieve a lot.

• Foofa

One hopes you haven't stopped achieving yet and one supposes your father wasn't earning 230K when he first started out either. You are "below" him just in that you're younger than he is. But if you're happy at your current pay and have managed to live in a part of the world where that's a sufficient income I wouldn't worry about it.

Many people think that money and material things are what make them successful and they want others to think that too.  At Luke 12:15 the Christ wrote: "...even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses."

People are trampling “human values” and replacing them with “money values.  Your success in life is not based upon how much money you earn or the amount of wealth you attain.  

No, I do not agree with his view. 

May be your father is a snob, and perhaps, a classist like my mother. That is a sign of narcissism and you won't be able to live up to his expectation even when you make a lot more money later on.  

My mother was a doctor and she used to belittle me about how little money I was making when I enlisted in the Navy (actually, she disowned me for a few years after I enlisted). 

After the Navy and college, I became an accountant, then later, an investment banker (and had real estate business on the side) and I was making a lot more money than her (after inflation). She did not like that either and would try to come up with something else to put me down. Last year, I quit my job, sold my business, and moved over 4,000 miles away to get away from her (among other reasons). 

Sorry to hear that you have a father like that. Just live your life and don't look down on other people based only on their income level. Good luck to you. 

• NavyCrab
      4 weeks agoReport

My mother, admittedly, said that she became a doctor to make money. She only practice for about 10-15 years before becoming some sorts of an administrator in the hospital. I guess she did not like dealing directly with sick people all that much. 

• jim c

1. How do you know how your dad views you? Are you assuming, or has he stated that plainly?

2. 70k a year at a much younger age is normal in relation to your dads income. Our society is a hierarchy based on competence. That's what capitalism is at it's core.

The older and more experienced you become in your profession, the more valuable you become to the marketplace.

3. Success is a perception. Success is making your life how you envisioned it. It takes a lifetime to "achieve" a lot.  While some do more than others, they also usually do less than most.

We all have our places, and it's your life and your decisions that determine your outcome. Stop worrying about what others think of you, and logically chase your perfect life.

The hard part is being honest enough with yourself to figure out what's most important in your life at any given time. Your goals will change with age and experience.

Work for what you want and never, ever give up on your dreams.

You're dad is a ******* bastars, how can he considers his son "below".

At some point in your life you have to stop caring what your parents think about you.

I don’t know how your dad views you, but your story isn’t plausible. 

Tell him to check back with you in 20 years when you are the same age he is now.  You'll probably be making more than him (after inflation) and be a far less miserable person.

He's nuts!  Success is not how much money you make: it is the assurance that you have succeeded in making your life goals, feeling you have done the right things, feeling loved/appreciated, living an ethical life, and simply being a good person.

PS:  $70K is an above-average income.

I don't view you at all, I don't even know you, dude.

70k a year is a lot, plus you probably do other things in life