Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

Why is Japan getting more violent ?

Me and my friends went on vacation to Japan ( won't mention where ), and around 9pm, some Japanese guy came out of an alley way and stabbed my friend in the leg with a knife. He had to go to the hospital for treatment. He's fine...

So we pressed charges on this guy for this harmful act and he's going to jail thankfully.

Why did we get attacked? Is it because we're tourists ? Unbelievable.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

I don't believe your story and Japan is not any more violent than it used to be. Even in the places in Japan where they think they have a crime wave, it's not violent crime they are talking about.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If you've listened to the Japanese news for the past 20+ years, you'd know that violent acts against foreigners or tourists isn't anything new, although it's very far and few between. At least your friend is okay.

• 4 weeks ago

Sorry for the crime. But one assault does not mean Japan is getting violent. And no one but the perpetrator knows why he did it. I have never been assaulted like that in Japan.

• 4 weeks ago

Too many  gaijin ...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Just because a Japanese person attacked doesn't mean it represent all Japanese people. You might just be unlucky enough to encounter a mentally-illed person. Violence is extremely rare in Japan, so it's just bad luck in your case.

• Quinn
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

One case does not make for a crime wave. Sorry to hear about your friend, but crime is everywhere. While Japan is still one of the safest country in the world, that does not mean no crime. And while violent crime is also very low compared to other countries, that too does not mean a zero chance of encountering it. This is especially important to remember as a tourist because any criminal is going to be on the lookout for a tourist for the simple reason that a tourist is going to be carrying more money than a native, and will be unfamiliar with the warning signs such as a dangerous no-go places or the body language of someone targeting them. No matter where you go in the world, you still have to take precautions and use common sense.

It is true there has been increases in the crime rate and some of it has been attributed to the worsening economic climate in Japan which has been in a recession for more than 20 years with no prospect of a turnaround in the near future. Many young Japanese are pessimistic about their future and this in turn has resulted in a kind of rebellion and anger. With the faltering economy and crumbling social conditions, you have something akin to what happened in Germany in the 1930s - the rise of ultra-nationalist hate groups who like all hate groups want to blame it all on others, especially foreigners.

But there are other factors at work because increase in the crime rate is occurring all over the world and in all countries. Personally, I believe this to be a consequence of globalization because if you link the economies of all the worlds nations, you cannot avoid linking other areas of society globally in some degree.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.