Negative effects to holding a professional to higher standards?

• KJC

None. A professional should be just that - a professional. Thus with high standards.

If it's your boss then you may not get that promotion or even worse you might be looking for another job. If it's a peer then go for it.

• keerok

Sometimes, expectations exceed reality and this is often observed in professional photography. Some people expect magic. That's what I always say to potential customers. I just shoot what I see. The camera does not lie.

• Marli

None. I expect a plumber, lawyer, doctor or any other professional I hire to provide the highest quality of what I pay for. If I can't pay for it, then I can't hire that professional.

The only problem is hiring someone who defrauds me by taking advantage of my ignorance by providing poor work as good, or stopping halfway in order to get more money than agreed to complete it.

• martin

If you get tough with a professional, he or she can retaliate by getting tough with you. Usually the professional has an advantage over you if your a student, client, or patient.

• John

A woman who thinks that no man is good enough for her is absolutely correct. That statement reaches farther than it's simple meaning.

One of the more revealing TD's I've gotten.

Well... the most obvious negative effect I can think of is that higher standards can lead to frustrations with inadequacy. If the standard you hold to is too high, then achieving it is a pipe dream. On the other hand though, if you hold people to standards that are too low, nothing of quality can be produced. Ultimately, the higher the standard, the better the product (in whatever form that may take). There can be a certain point, however, when the cost for a certain standard becomes too high to justify it. 

There is no doubt that it is a shame to hold others to higher standards. But it is also a sad fact that many of the people in the world who do not have enough education or skill to help them in life and therefore cannot succeed are held down by their own lack of education or skill. Those people are then unable to take advantage of opportunities for upward mobility.

As a consequence of this situation, some people have a negative reaction to higher standards and even to the belief that some people are not worthy of living. As they learn more about themselves and about others, they learn that not everybody is the same and that some people really do have the ability to excel in life.

In other words, it is good to hold the people in your life to higher standards, but it is also important to recognize that some people are not the same as the standards being applied.

• Jay

you're supposed to ask a question