Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 4 weeks ago

Should I finish accounting degree or switch to Health Information Management (HIM)?

I'm just trying to determine if this would be a worthwhile career move for me. I have 10+ yrs experience in healthcare, but I've only done EMS, patient registration, and now medical assistant.

For the past 2 years I've been working on an accounting bachelors because I was drinking the kool-aid, you know, "Accounting is flexible, lucrative, etc, etc". However during my past junior year, I'm not happy due to the fact that I've been unable to get any accounting internships nor entry level staff positions. This has me worried come graduation time next year.

I recently came across Health Information Management (HIM), I can do it completely online with WGU which is accredited, and finish it in 6 months full time with my transfer credits, all for $3500. However, I'm not sure because when I look on indeed for Health information management jobs or any related titles, I only see anywhere from 50-170 job listings in my city.

I don't know if this is not a good sign or am I interpreting these numbers incorrectly?

Any advice or suggestions?

• Scott

My degree is in Accounting. I have never done a days' work in accounting. I am in the IT industry.

• martin

Just get the accounting degree. It is versatile and helpful in many fields of work. Never mind sticking to nursing. Also, on line courses are not as respected as degrees from universities or colleges.

• Linda

Go for health information management. Better career, easier to get into.