Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What is your favorite type of book plot?

• Lili

I don't have a favorite plot. I want each book I read to be original and creative in terms of plot.  For that reason, I never read certain genres because the plots of the books in those genres all tend to be very similar. 

• Andrew

Why would anybody who loves to read want to read the same plot, or even the same type of plot, over and over again? People who have a favourite plot are the types of people who only like one particular type of food or music. Variety is the spice of life. Genre fiction is chock full of instances where heaps of books share the same plot, or where the plots are so similar as to essentially be interchangeable. Read half a dozen horror novels or romance novels and you'll find that you've read them all, but if you love to read, there are millions upon millions of choices, and the fact that there's variety to be found is part of what makes reading so enjoyable.  

I don't have a favorite. I love reading a variety of plots, subject matters and writing styles.

• Marli

Humourous, whether it's romance, mystery or chick-lit. A slightly zany character or plot. I don't like horror, sci-fi or plots that are primarily a string of lurid sex or violence scenes.  I don't care much for fantasy and alternative history because they tend to skew the historical past and are far from accurate where they don't skew it. (I know historical fiction writers must bend or change some facts and events to fit the story; but it must not be obvious and it must be plausible.  If it's alternative history and the Cavaliers, the Nazis or Louis Riel win, how and why and the outcome must make sense.) I like historical fiction because the characters have to interact and solve their problem in ways both familiar and unfamiliar to me, which is like fantasy; but fantasy cheats because the protagonist has special powers, or a mage at his side.   I don't have a favourite plot. One plot over and over gets boring. 

I'm all over the place, because I love stories that are funny. I love stories that are surprising, that leave you guessing. I think the best ones leave you at the end wondering what the heck just happened. I love stories that are so unusual. I love them that are really difficult to imagine a plot for.