Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Should I let my 18 year old daughter date ?

I want her to wait untill 21

She complain that I let my sons date at 15 but that different.

No, trolls aren't allowed to date until 30 when you can trust them to be home before the sun comes up and turns them to stone.

Since she is under 21, as you have said, you are 100% correct both morally and legally to keep her from dating until 21. Date rape and STDS are very real concern that happen to a LOT of teens.  When she gets older, she will thank you for protecting her from making dumb choices that teens are guaranteed to do because of their still developing brain.

On the other hand, why do you let your 15 year old son date? He's not even old enough to legally consent yet. 

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

He can't stop her from dating. She's 18 years old and she's a legal adult.

• GB

Please explain why it's different to let your sons date at 15.

I think this is a troll.

Yes, you should let her date because after all she 18 years old not 8 and you can't really stop her from it because she's legally an adult. Also if your sons were allowed to date at 15 then she should have been allowed to date at 15 too.

Yes 18 is about the right age

Maybe. DEpends of the moment.

Yes, 18 is definitely old enough to date. 21 is way to late. She needs to get some dating experience. If you keep pushing 21, she will do what ever she wants BUT behind your back! Please answer my question.

• Age of majority is defined as legal adulthood. If there is indeed a difference I’d be interested in hearing what exactly it is.

Well it does appear that you have a double standard. Sons aged 15 can date but daughters have to wait until they are 21. That just isn't fair is it. Naturally, you worry about a daughter getting pregnant - but she's less likely to do that than perhaps a wayward and silly boy of 15 impregnating more than one stupid girl. The fact that you have imposed this 21 rule shows that you want her to behave in a proper fashion. I expect your sons are aware of this too. If you agree to allow her to date at 18, you could probably attach a few rules like the boy has to come to the house so you can look him over and must bring her home at a reasonable time and that you must know via her phone (app?) where she is during the evening. That may save you a lot of arguments and heartache in the family.

• blank

Should you let?   Wait until someone tells her that at 18 you can't stop her from really doing anything, including dating.   

Don't get me started on your double standard either.