Bader asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Cat Adoption?

Cat adoption could be a little bit pricey. I have checked a couple of shelters near me. and the price ranges from $80-$120. So, I was wondering if there is a way to get a free cat. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Okay... read this carefully! We went to an animal shelter and adopted a young kitten (9 weeks old), and the fee was $15. Sounds cheap, right? Hang with me... 

She had her first round of kitten vaccines. That was all. She was too little for the complete series. She was not yet spayed. After adopting her, we saw fleas. We immediately treated her with a kitten dose of Advantage, and made an appointment for her first vet visit. That visit was JUST for her initial checkup. She was still too little for the second round of vaccines, and only a week after her first set, so it was too soon anyway. But, we wanted to test for Feline Leukemia and FIV. That visit cost us around $120 (including parasite test for intestinal parasites). She was okay on the FeLeuk/FIV test, and we had to wait for the parasite test results. 

Within a week of bringing her home, she got very sick. She was carrying a virus but wasn't yet showing symptoms. When I say "very sick", I man, she almost died. We spent hundreds of dollars to treat and test for other illnesses. She had Calicivirus (a very contagious virus... and it's part of the vaccine series, which she was too young to have been able to have in its entirety). She had Bartonella, which is a bacterial infection transmitted by fleas. Her parasite test turned up very strong for Coccidia, which are protozoa. She had to be treated for that. She was okay for Toxoplasmosis... which is something that we thought she might have also had, but she didn't, good because that can be passed on to people. She had blood work and it was abnormal because of her infections. She had to be on antibiotics for a long time to treat the Bartonella. We had to repeat the parasite test to be sure that the4 medicine for the Coccidia had worked. She still had Coccidia, plus Giardia which wasn't being shed the first time around. So, we had to have medicine for that, plus another round of medicine for the Coccidia. That was even more money. 

Then she got well from the virus, and we were able to do her second set of kitten shots and the rabies vaccine because now she was old enough to have it. That was over $100 for everything (and our vet was giving us courtesy discounts because we are long time good clients, and our kitten is a rescue... they offer rescue-pet discounts). It would have cost us MUCH more if I wasn't an experienced vet tech and able to do much of the treatment at home rather than hospitalizing her, as is usually the case with such a critically ill pet. A kitten as sick as she was would normally have had to stay in the hospital but we cared for her at home, and she got well. But even so, it was hundreds of dollars... and we hadn't even factored in her spay surgery yet because she was still too little and sick. Some people would have euthanized a little one who was as ill as she was, but we chose to give her every chance, and she was strong and she wanted to live... so we stayed the course, and she survived. Our vet was actually quite amazed that she even pulled through with everything that was making her so sick. As she got well, we still had the third and final round of vaccine to do... another $30. 

Now, we're ready to spay. At 4 months of age, she went in and had her surgery, and her microchip. Our cost for that surgery and chip was $260. And THAT was with the "Stray/Rescue" discount (admittedly, we chose a more expensive, but safer anesthesia protocol). Oh... and she came up having tapeworms that day, so there's another $31 for the injection, instead of the pill because it was discovered as she was being prepped for surgery and she couldn't have anything by mouth. Her surgery went very well, and she recovered fast. So, we repeated the parasite test... and this time, no parasites were seen. But because she's grown some, we had to change her flea medicine to keep up. We are having to go month by month until she levels off on her weight and growth, and gets old enough to have her final adult medicine. BTW, she is now about 19 weeks old. We spent ALL of this in around 10 weeks. 

So, this "$15 kitten" came out to close to a thousand dollars. You never know if your "free kitten" will get sick, or hurt, and all kittens need things like spaying/neutering, vaccines, possibly de-worming, testing to make sure that they don't have parasites (you won't always see these buggers, especially protozoa!), you need food, toys, a safe place for the kitty to stay, if you rent you might have to pay a pet deposit, you might have to pay animal registration fees to your city, a microchip is always a good idea and that has registration and renewal fees every year, you need flea prevention every month, you need annual exams and vaccines (depending on the vaccine protocol... still, an annual exam)… you might have an emergency injury or illness like we did.

So, now you know. There IS NO SUCH THING as a free cat. If you cannot afford the 80-120 dollar adoption fee, which includes the spay/neuter and age-appropriate vaccines and probably FELV/FIV testing... you simply cannot afford a pet. Again, there is NO SUCH THING as a free cat!

• 3 weeks ago

If you can't afford the adoption price you're going to have a hard time affording that animals care in general. $80 to $120 for a cat/kitten who is already wormed, vaccinated, health checked, and spayed/neutered is CHEAP. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

5 finger discount. 

• 4 weeks ago

Sure. But it won't be altered, have its shots, be disease tested, chipped, deflead, dewormed. Shelters do all those things to their animals. So paying only $80 to $120 is a freaking BARGAIN. If you got a "free" cat you'd then pay $500+ to get all those things done!

Don't get a cat or any pet. You can't afford one. Pets are a LUXURY not a right.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your "free" cat will end up costing you more then the $120 the adoption charges.  Once you add in the cost of all shots, spay/neuter, FELV and other medical treatment needed before adoption you are looking at maybe $200 or more to have the same things done at your vet.  

If you still want a "free" kittens - look on craigslist - I see them all the time.

• 4 weeks ago

Look on Craig's list or other local advertising. Call local vets.

• 4 weeks ago

You can check craigslist but most are around the same price, but are not fixed and up to date on vaccines like from a shelter. I've had multiple people get animals from craigslist and they end up spending way more than an adoption fee as the animal isnt healthy. 

If you cant afford $80-$120 out of pocket I really caution against getting a pet. Thst is about what you will spend on supplies for the new cat. That is less than your annual pet food costs and way less than an emergency vet visit. Even your annual exam (without vaccines) will be around $60. 

• 4 weeks ago

Boi let me tell you that $80-120 is a fantastic deal. I have gotten "free" kittens and between neutering, deworming, vaccinations, ringworm treatment (and btw everyone in the house got ringworm so we had to deal with that), ear mite treatment etc my "free" kittens were $300-600 each. Spend the $100 on a healthy, vaccinated and already neutered cat. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The reason it costs so much is because they have already been fixed, vetted, and dewormed. By all means, if you want a free kitten and have to pay upwards of $600 more to get that all done yourself, go for it. Adopting a cat that already has all of that done will save you more money in the long run, unless you are completely irresponsible and plan on doing nothing for the poor thing.

• 4 weeks ago

Just steal one and it will already be trained

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.