Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Does God have the ability to be sad? And can he even get depressed?

Update:

Please add sources. Thanks.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

God created mankind’s feelings. We were created in his image or feelings. In the Bible at 2 Samuel chapter 24 verse 16 it states: “Jehovah felt regret over the calamity .” He had instructed the angel to destroy Jerusalem because of their turning against him. He has feelings.However, he is not depressed. He knows he has power to bring about change.

• 4 weeks ago

He gets mad several times in the OT (wiping out almost all life on the planet at last once) so it would be entirely plausible that he would get sad/depressed.

Maybe even feel regret.

• Barney
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Sad, yes. ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, though keep in mind that just because God has the ability does not necessarily mean that it ever happens.

• jon pike
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Breakthrough, please unblock me. Of course. God weeps over every sin and every lost soul, but the angels themselves rejoice for every soul who humbles themselves and prays to the Lord for the forgiveness of sin.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Derek
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

God incarnate suffered all the emotions we humans suffer, including the negative ones that come with temptation - "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted" (Hebrews 2:18).  He also said, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death" (Mark 14:34). The Son of God agreed to come to earth, to be born as a man, even though he knew he would be "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief" as foretold of him 700 years before he was born (Isaiah 53:3). God, in Christ, knows exactly what it is to be sad, depressed and feeling overwhelmed with grief and suffering.

• X
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The Bible records how mankind has the ability to affect the feelings of their Creator. Each time the nation of Israel turned away from him, they offended him and hurt him.

• Pam
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Genesis 6:5 Consequently, Jehovah saw that man’s wickedness was great on the earth and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time. 6 Jehovah regretted* that he had made men on the earth, and his heart was saddened.

• 4 weeks ago

YES ...HE DOES CRY SOMETIMES.

• Jeff
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Anything is possible in Imagination Land.

Gods are imaginary

• 4 weeks ago

No, you have to exist to feel emotions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.