Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 4 weeks ago

How do I get health insurance?

My husband receives health insurance at work, which I'm grateful for. However, if he were to add me, it would cost over $1,000 more a month. He can't afford to add me. How can I (homemaker) get insured?

My husband has help through his employment paying for his insurance which makes it affordable for him, not me.

Favorite Answer

Just buy a plan on your own.  People don't understand insurance.  Just because he has coverage through an employer doesn't mean that it's affordable for dependents.  It's open enrollment you can TRY the marketplace, but you can buy off the marketplace as well.  Check your income to see if you qualify for subsidies, but if you don't buy off the exchange.  Less hassle.

Why don't YOU get a job

The same way as you get most things: by going to either a business where it is sold or a website where it is sold, and buying it there.

Start with healthcare.gov and maybe try an insurance agent also.

• Judith

Why don't YOU get a job.  Then you could afford it.

• Bob4 weeks agoReport

Why don't you get a job??

• Judy

By you or your husband paying for it yourself. good luck.

• DEBS

It's typically MUCH cheaper to add a second person than to have you go out and find your own. The right financial move is to add you there.

(I'd also have a lot of questions with the fact 'he can't afford'. You're a homemaker therefore your agreement as a family is all about 'we' when it comes to his paycheck.)

4 weeks agoReport

Actually, you're wrong.  Two people on the same plan at the same page pay exactly TWICE as much.  There are no discounts like that.

I'm in the same position as you.  I just don't have insurance, however I don't go to the doctor and if I should get sick, I've saved enough from not paying insurance to walk in a clinic and pay cash.  It's good your husband is covered, since he's the source of income.  Together, start a medical savings account and put in monthly what he's having to pay and if anything comes up, you would have something to use as payment.  Most hospitals around here charge cheaper rates for not being insured as they don't have to deal with all the paperwork involved.  Good luck and stay well!

• Eva

Apply on your state's marketplace. Open enrollment will be very soon.

• Linda

As his wife, your husband needs to add you but I cannot believe it would go up that much. Is that what your husband told you? He is lying. Tell him you want to see the insurance enrollment form and details about insurance so you can see this for yourself. To add a spouse there will be an increase of course but not one thousand dollars. 

4 weeks agoReport

Group plan.  She's older. Employer doesn't contribute to dependents.  Sure it could be that much.

You're free to shop for your own individual policy.   Make sure you purchase before the 2020 open enrollment period ends or you'll be out of luck until 2021.

If your husband doesn't make enough money to purchase basic necessities such as medical insurance, you can't afford to stay home.   It's time to look for a job.

If you are low-income, you should shop on the healthcare marketplace to see if you qualify for a government subsidy.

If you aren't low-income, then you either get a job or you take a look at what you're spending money on that isn't a necessity.  There are many people who say they can't afford medical insurance but they have a new car with big payment, expensive cell phone plan, drink $150 worth of Starbucks and $200 worth of wine every month and pay $150 to have their hair cut and colored every six weeks. 

• Mark

Affordable care act. Contrary to people on this site saying things like "my health insurance went up three times", it is actually affordable, and when I was on it, I paid NOTHING.