why did jesus say, when dying on the torture stake, ask: “My God, my God, to what end have you forsaken me?”?

more info on Jw.org

• Joe

That appears to be a misquote.

Jesus was quoting Psalm 22, proving He is God and He is the fulfillment of prophecy.

• Sky

Because that's how the fairy tale was written.  You may as well ask why the big bad wolf chose the words, "I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house down!"

Why would anyone armed with the fact that the JW religion was started by an 18 year old boy and requires his people to only read HIS publications so he can control what they think EVER want to go to their website to search out anything?

• k w

He was quoting Scripture, from the cross ' My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? ' written before He was born......

That was a quote from Psalm 22.

• BJ

Jesus on the torture stake asked this question, not because he did not know why Jehovah God, his heavenly Father, had forsaken him, but in order that prophecy might be fulfilled. 

The prophecy here fulfilled was one found in Psalm 22, which was written by David, who was a prophetic type of the Jesus Christ in many respects.In the opening words of that psalm, David cries out: “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”At the time Jesus uttered them on the torture stake they really had a background against which to be fulfilled. In this case God’s forsaking Jesus did not mean that God turned his back upon him as disapproved and condemned, but merely that God released him to the full fury of his enemies, even to the extent of allowing them to kill him. Thus God forsook or released Jesus over to his enemies, to be subject to the enemies to do whatsoever they wanted to do with him, not even shielding him from ignominious death.

At that moment, as a human, He was totally separated from God the Father, because He bore our sins upon Himself. That statement is the way that He felt and responded to the isolation. God and evil can not coexist... like light banishing darkness.

What verbosity, using 3 words [to what end] for the simple Greek word that is just "why". And why can't you give us the Bible reference for that quote? Ah, you don't want people to go to the Bible to read it for themselves, do you - you want them to get your society's interpretation of it. Well, all Bible scholars know Jesus was quoting Psalm 22:1 and that because God cannot look upon sin, He could not look upon Jesus as the Christ became sin, though He had never sinned. Matthew 27:46.

• Rebecca
      4 weeks agoReport

The verse from Habakkuk 3 that you cite does not mean God cannot look upon sin.  If He couldn't look upon sin, He could never look upon us.  What it does mean is I cannot enjoy sin, partake in sin, call it good and lovely. That's what the Hebrew word means, even though it's translated "look upon."

• Michze

The Greek storywriters were confused with the Aramaic and Hebrew language.

• I'm preparing the answer, wait for the technical time!

-------------------------------------------

Ignore, or do you not believe that Jesus has the nature of being God, and at the same time of being a man!

In the person of God he is the Almighty, in the human person he uses his simplicity to be a man, and to turn to his own Divinity, Father, Son, Holy Spirit!

That's

your biblical verse:

Matthew 27.46

And towards the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice: "He, he, lamà sabactàni?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Now let's see what's written in Matthew:

Matthew 28:18-19.

18 And Jesus came to them, and spoke, saying, All power is given me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore, and make all nations my disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus said that all Power was given him, in heaven and on earth, and then declares to his disciples to baptize those who believed.

So, you believed in Jesus when he said, "My God, why have you forsaken me?

Now, in verse 28 of Matthew, how come you don't believe in Jesus when he said: go and baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?

Logically, in the world, do True Christians baptize in the name of three things? Or three people?

Things don't make sense, people about God's Deity have the right logic and spiritual sense!

Here the Deity of God prevails, one God, but in the form of his Deity of the three equal and distinct persons!

So, do you think it's one-way?

Where would you like other people to believe your supposed truth?

No! Whoever questions the word of God by turning it for their own use, is the Antichrist!?

What do you say when Jesus said these words to Martha, Lazarus' sister who had died, and that Jesus raised him up?

John 11:23-27.

23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”

Didn't Jesus say, Father, please, raise Lazarus up? But Jesus spoke first-hand, saying. *I AM, the resurrection and life. Are there perhaps 2 Gods?

No!

There is only one God, in his special Form of Deity, in the three equal and distinct persons, and this cuts off the religious who are out of doctrine and, they are the Antichrist!