Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Christians, what would you say if Young earth creationist ask you why don't you take Bible literally?

& believe adam & eve & Noah & more

Favorite Answer

They sat that what bible really mean

I always want to believe that people are kidding about taking the Bible literally. And then...yeah. Some of you on here need to really examine the book you've deemed full of stuff that actually happened. Alongside history, archeology, geology, etc. I know that never seems to work but maybe this time? Maybe? I get that it makes the world around you easy to understand and you the center of some all-powerful being's daddy-like and awful attention...but come on. Eh. This, too, shall pass but it will do a lot of damage before it does. Ugh a bug in a creepy stupid rug. 

• Jeremy

Well, as someone who went through a bit of this phase long ago, the most honest answer I can give now that I'm on the other side is one of cognitive dissonance.

I think when I claimed to believe the bible, there were a number of things I saw there that were clearly not true. I might not have ever said so out loud. The social implications would have been very difficult. It was often better to just keep quite to maintain peace with family and community.

So, I knew the world wasn't formed over a week, but I didn't observe the sabbath every seven million years. It was just unquestioned adherence to tradition. Things died for a long time before humans were around, so death wasn't the fallout from a talking serpent convincing mankind to eat a specific fruit.

Now, you could pass that off stories as "allegory," but that just was a deflection and really left more theological questions than answers. Questions like, Why would a god create a world with predators, disease, suffering, and death, long before humans would be around to sin and cause death? The "allegory" line was just a thin bridge over some far more troubling theological issues that you tried your best not to think too hard about when you were afraid of the answer.

• Jeremy
      1 month agoReport

...
      10 Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. 11 You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned.

• Justin

I take the Bible literally. I just don't interpret it stupidly, childishly or disrespectfully, which is why it makes excellent sense to me.

People like yourself also mock 'talking snakes,' dead people resurrecting, walking on water and multiplication of bread and fish. However, humans now have 'talking snakes' and even use them similarly to convey powerful allegorical principles or simply entertain people. We call them animation and animatronics. The only thing 'silly' about GOD's version being superior and pre-existing is if you dismiss GOD's Existence. Otherwise, it would be completely reasonable and even expected, since we are made in GOD's likeness and would naturally or instinctively invent 'inferior' versions of things He already has.

Modern humans now raise the dead, (just not after three days), but the idea is not patently absurd anymore, (and never really was). Science has a 'walkable water sheathe' designed using energized nanobots. GOD using natural microbes and energies to do it isn't absurd either, unless, (once again), you have already dismissed His Existence. Modern people have learned to provide 'multiplicities' of bread and fish even to people living in arid environments where none exist naturally at all so they can eat and be satisfied. That isn't 'absurd' anymore either, (and never was).

Adam was made from the 'dust of the ground' in the image of GOD and mankind has made an 'image' of himself from the 'dust of the ground,' (silicon dust, conducting metals, etc...), in the form of computers and robots, which even talk, move around and assist them with work. 

When anything strikes us as 'silly,' GOD asks us to maintain the intellectual endurance and patience to trust His wisdom and knowledge anyway, since He will reveal the truth in time, if we do not foolishly abandon His sacred words for 'inferior' substitutes. He has captured His wisdom and knowledge in few words, requiring us to deeply contemplate and appreciate them. Foolishness arrives using many words and its 'dreams' carry increasingly heavy burdens and costs, (currently called the 'price of Progress'). It is always based in the nonsense of suggesting that GOD doesn't Exist.

"The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good." (Psalm 14:1).

2"Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few. 3For the dream comes through much effort and the voice of a fool through many words." (Ecclesiastes 5:2-3). 

• Madam Sin Bin
      1 month agoReport

You are kidding with this answer, right? And taking the Bible literally? It says right there, in the Bible, that stories and tales are used to teach people. So...maybe actually read the words instead of feeling the feelings, dear. 

• Liz

The Witnesses hold the Bible to be the complete Word of God (the sixty-six books of the “Old and New Testaments,” as they are listed in most Bibles). But they are not “fundamentalists,” as that term is generally understood. They do not believe that everything in the Bible is to be taken literally. They take the balanced, commonsense view, which is indeed the Scriptural view, that, while the Bible has many direct, literal statements, such as the laws it gives to govern the Christian’s life, much in that Book is symbolic or figurative.

For example, the parables of Jesus Christ are admittedly symbolic. The Greek word used in the Bible for “parable” can be translated “illustration.” It is said of Jesus: “Indeed, without an illustration [parable] he would not speak to them [the crowds], but privately to his disciples he would explain all things.”—Mark 4:34; Matt. 13:34.

The Bible’s prophecies are often symbolic. Of the prophetic book of Revelation the opening verse explains: “He [Jesus Christ] sent forth his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John.” (Rev. 1:1) Either by direct statements such as this, or by the context, it can easily be determined which statements are literal and which ones are symbolic.

• Justin
      1 month agoReport

'Common' is what the Bible calls 'broad.' "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it." (Matthew 7:13). We are the 'uncommon' which is what 'holy' actually means. We have an 'uncommon sense.' 

But I do take the Bible literally. All of it.