mal asked in PetsRodents · 3 weeks ago

Can you keep a rat in a tank instead of a cage?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

It would have to be rather big, ratties need a lot of room

Mine is just a big wire cage sort like you keep ferrets in, but they also have a big penned playground they spend lot of time in.

• 3 weeks ago

Nah. Ammonia builds up over a few hours and can give them respiratory problems, they need airflow. Plus, most fishtanks are too small

• Nameless
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Males will kill each other. Females that grow up together almost always get along. Introducing a new female to a group of females can be tricky. 

• 3 weeks ago

No. Any animal larger than a hamster needs a wire cage. Its also tricky to put things for the rats to climb on in a tank. With a wire cage you can attack ropes, ledges etc to the sides of the cage. You cant do that in a tank. 

Rats are social animals and need to be in same sex pairs or groups. 

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

No, you can't. 

It does not offer suitable ventilation; climbing room or enough space (unless you spend thousands on a DIY one). ideally they should be housed in cages over the minimum requirement of 2 cubic feet each, the best way cages are the double critter nation; ferplast furret cage and Savic suite royal 95. I suggest zooplus for these.RATS MUST LIVE IN PAIRS OR GROUPS, unless you want them to die quickly from depression and stress related illnesses. Their cage must be filled too to bottom with toys, and have a safe aspen, fleece, paper or hemp based substrate at the bottom. They love to climb so will need mostly climbing toys.NEVER PUT RATS IN A BALL, they are highly stressful; dangerous and have been known to cause serious injuries and death. Rats NEED to free roam, at least an hour a day, everyday.The start-up cost of a rat is around £/€/$300, but they need an additional £/€/$100 saved in vet fees as most require them during their lifetime, and refusing veterinary treatment is illegal as it causes unnecessary suffering.

• odd
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Nathan you are hysterical.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It is best not to. Most are much too small for a rat, and they provide inadequate ventilation, which can lead to respiratory problems.

• Blonde
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes, but it must be a large one. Rats are intelligent and can go crazy if not let out and allowed to run around a bit. The best cage for them is a ferret cage, with a big wheel and hut to hide in, sticks to chew, and held/played with everyday. They are easy to train, (put small ‘cat box’ with clay litter for them to go potty in tank or cage), they know their name, and recognize people. Omnivorous. They love pizza, lol. Fancy rats make great pets!

• Blonde
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I had rats as a teenager. They make rat sized wheels, Order one on-line. Use of a large 100 gallon tank is ok. But yes, must have hut to hide in and a large stick to climb and chew on. My rats loved it when I gave the a folded tissue, they would shred it for bedding. 

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, you can but it is extremely important to change the bedding frequently.

• Nathan
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

No they can't , it is not large enough and does not cater to their needs

• odd
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes. The trouble is, finding a way to secure the lid. Rats also will chew the plastic edges around the top, and the silicone sealing the edges and corners inside of the tank. You can't use the tank for an aquarium after that without resealing it. I use a metal screen top and put a garden paver or brick over it to keep them from getting out. If this rat is going to be your baby darling pet I would get a rodent habitat cage; that might work out better for you.

• Nameless
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Good to hear. Since you insist on a tank make sure you keep that tank really clean so ammonia cant build up. Clean it at least a few times a week. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.