Is it ok to not accept an apology, if so how long should you wait before deciding?  I think apologies should be immediate.  ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Up until around the ages of 9-11, "I'm Sorry" falls into the "magic word" category of "Please", "Thank you", "Can I help?". Beyond that age, beyond the age where your parents/teacher can demand you accept the apology on the spot and move on.... peoples behaviors are their own responsibility and are held to them. No one ever has to accept your apology in your time for your reason. That's just also demanding power over the very people you've done some sort of harm to and are apologizing (or pretending ) to. "I'm Sorry" doesn't swipe the slate clean on demand after a person gets into the double digit age range. It's entirely up to the offended party to accept or not accept or "think about it". 

And some apologies take time to ask for because maybe it takes some time to figure out the offense or to care. No one rules the world. Just their own lives. 

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you want to remain a victim, neither give not accept an apology

Do either quickly if you want to be free

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you don't wish to forgive, then you needn't forgive. If you don't wish to accept an apology then you needn't accept. 

There is no time limit on a person who has done wrong determining or accepting that he/she has done wrong, no time limit on repentance or contrition, on seeking forgiveness, on attempting to make restitution. That a person may be an oblivious butt head today doesn't translate to that person being an oblivious butt head forever. People can choose to change, can change. 

Not saying that one must in consequence forgive. Only that it's possible for a person to grow in understanding and wisdom, in humility and thirst for righteousness. 

• 1 month ago

There are no rules regarding apologies, only guidelines in form of etikette or social norms. You are not owned an apology, it’s only a courtesy offered to you. And even then no timeline attached. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mikey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Okay according to whom?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.