Why don't businesses close when there is a blizzard?

An I the only one who is bothered by this, is the almighty dollar really more important than the employees? 

Would you like it if hospitals all closed or gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacys, power companies, police and fire! These are all people too but you expect them to show up for work! Why! Because the world keeps turning! You cannot let the weather control everything or we have nothing! A lot of places will close. But some things still have to happen for us all.

• The world still goes on even if there's a blizzard. A blizzard isn't the end of the world. If an employee can safely get to work in a snow storm, then it's okay. The company isn't liable if they get in a car accident, unless it's with a company vehicle. Customers are more important then a blizzard. The business shuts down for the day, they lose time to get things done and possibly customers. 

The company I currently work for didn't shut down, even when there was 35 cm of snow on the ground. I decided not to go to work that day because I didn't think I could get there safely. I didn't use my paid time off all that wisely this year, I'm going to have to go to work even if there's a blizzard / snow storm or they take the day out of my pay check.

Wait till you need something and you'll be then whining 'why is nothing open?  how are people supposed to get ready'.

No, the customers are important too. During a blizzard, they need to be able to buy food, snow shovels, etc., so it's very important to have some businesses open. Although most could close.

• Judy

Occasionally they do, if it's terrible out. But what, close every time there's snow? If customers can get there, why can't employees?

My state shuts down for a couple inches and icy roads.

You don't seem to grasp the concept of capitalism.  

Many businesses do.  One of the jobs I have at the medical practices I do IT support for is to run the automated phone program that they use to cancel appointments and let staff know that they are closed (or opening late) on days when there is bad weather.

Because:

1)  People still need things like gas, groceries, medicine, diapers, batteries etc. during a storm; and

2)  People still need their paycheck which means they need to work; and

3)  It's hard for businesses to pay employees when they are closed/earning no revenue.

Many businesses operate with fewer employees during a storm so that those who truly can't get to work don't have to.

My business is actually quite busy during a snow storm.  I'm located in a large urban city where people can walk to where they want to go.  And when many of them have time off from work due to the storm, guess what...they don't want to sit at home on the couch.   They put on their boots and out they go. 

Its tricky.  Yes, its all about the almighty dollar, but there is more to the discussion.  Nothing says bad morale like an employee who was kept a little too long and they got into a serious car accident on the way home.  Its not all dollars and cents...

We look at forecasts and try to make the right decision, most of the time, its not a problem.  Every once in a while, a storm creeps up and catches us by surprise...causing a chaotic trip one way or the other...

It's easy to be pro-censorship when you agree with the censors, but ... Actually, you should boycott every company that do business in China, ..... The Blizzard one was at 13th position with more tweets than the .... Democracy is more important than Hearthstone - there are a ton of .... Dollars before principles.