Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

At what age do you think a woman starts getting called ma'am?

And don't comment with BS lies like "I'll call a teen ma'am" because we know that's a lie. I want real answers. 

Favorite Answer

I'd say in the 40's but a bit has to do with how the woman presents herself.

Ther eisnt' one. It depends how old you look. I'm 2-3 times older than most of you but have never been called ma'am. This is because I'm very short and very small and mistaken for a kid a lot. Even though a good look at my face should persuade people otherwise. They're too busy looking at my boobs.

• rick

It's an address of respect, NOT age. You can expect to be addressed as Ma'am when you are respectable.

Some of it has to do with how a person presents themselves. If she's in business attire she's probably going to be addressed in a more respectful tone overall. If I must put a number on when a woman is more likely to start being referred to as Ma'am I would say 25 is about right. At 25 she's out of college and likely established in a career is a mother.

• Elana

It's not a "BS lie" but it isn't an absolute either.

If you want somebody to feel important and worthy of reckoning with, you might use this title.  For a girl, you might use "young lady" at other times TO THE SAME PERSON.

I have seen bankers call 10 year olds "Ma'am" when they came in to setup their first bank account (with their parents).  But clearly, it isn't the norm.

But if an emancipated minor came in to setup an account, I certainly would hope the bank would use "ma'am", wouldn't you?

The general case of using the formal title is when you don't know the person's name (or feel the use of it would be too familiar) and you are younger than the person (certainly).

These days, if you are the same age or older, you might be using "ma'am" tongue-in-cheek, or simply out of desperation for something to call her (assuming you don't want to use diminutives).

I am old.  I will happily call somebody "sir" or "ma'am" anytime I don't want to sound overly familiar or diminutive.  I have called my 5yo niece "ma'am".

No lie.

I am a firm believer that older people should treat younger people politely because that's how younger people learn to be polite.

Ma'am is a mostly southern expression of respect and manners. The age is irrelevant.

When you’re old enough to be married

I prefer being called “young lady”. I love it when people call me that

Maybe around mid 20s or so, but kinda dependent on how they look or where they live. More likely to get called such here in the South as a term of respect and all of that.

I'd say when she gets married about that age. Girls who are in collage or have graduated. It really depends on if the girl looks mature.