How to take in information on a heavily worded book?

I am currently reading a book called "Windows Kernel Programming by Pavel Yosifovich" and it is an extremely interesting book about Windows Internals BUT the words are very heavy and the second you start to gaze off a little you don't understand anything hence why you need your full-on attention to "kind of" understand, which is my problem...

Any tips on how I can focus on reading such a hard-to-understand book?

Thanks.

Judging from the title, this sounds like a practical or how-to book, so the simplest way to learn the information in it is probably to apply it practically. If it has any exercises or challenges, do them. If it doesn't, then at the end of each chapter or section, see whether you can write a cool or useful program that uses the information in that chapter or section.

(Just be sure to make a backup of anything important before you start experimenting, and keep the backup on a device that you can physically disconnect from your computer. Or experiment on a machine where you don't care about losing everything - maybe a virtual one. When you start mucking about at the kernel level, it's very easy to get your machine into a state where it won't boot and you have to reinstall everything.)

Different things work for different people. When that occurs with me I read the passage over as many times as is necessary for me to grasp an understanding of what I've read. I also keep a dictionary handy and I take a break from the book when I feel it's getting to tedious.

• Faithe

Read as much as you feel you can process about one concept.  Look up from the book and take the time to go over and digest that concept. Read a bit more.  Do the same, also going over what you tried to digest previously.  (Once you're sure you've digested something you only rarely should go back to that.)  

If possible, don't wait until your brain starts to glaze over.  Take a break before then so you can digest and start again with a brain in working mode.  If you've already glazed, don't read more.  Take a very short break and then reread (or, hopefully, just skim) what you just read again and THEN, before you lose focus, stop to think about and digest what you just read.

I see that some people suggest reading aloud.  This may work for you and may not.  I find that when I read aloud sometimes I am just pronouncing the words without thinking about them.  If I RECORD the words and then play them back, listening to my own voice, that DEFINITELY helps - not just for understanding but for remembering.  Some people are more "visual" learners while other people are more "hearing" learners.  To tell which kind you are, notice what you do when you look up a phone number (and don't just have to click a button but have to remember it long enough to dial it):  If you stare at the number before dialing, you're a visual learner; if you say the number out loud, you're a hearing learner.  If you do both, you benefit from a combination.  Either way, though - whether you're learning through reading or through hearing, you need to take breaks to process what you've already learned in order to give the information time to move from your short-term memory to your long-term memory.

• Cogito

You might try reading it aloud, as if for an audio book.

Or make copious notes as you go.

• Speed

I suppose everyone's different, but when I'm having trouble with complex reading, making sense of long sentences and lots of new information, I find that reading it out loud, as if I had a very smart blind student who needed to read this for a class, listening.

That means I have to break it down in my mind in order to give the words the proper emphasis, the sentences their correct pauses, and all that. It completely changes the text for me.