Does laptop longevity depend on the place you buy it from?

Hello

I m going to buy a laptop. I can buy it from two places, 1. Saudi Arabia, 2. My home country.

Obviously price in SA is lot lower so I d prefer to buy from there.

Now, people are saying that if I buy from there and use it here, it would not last long due to humidity. They say electronics are manufactured differently for different countries. And that products made for my country is specially designed to withstand high humidity.

Is it true?

Should I take advantage of the low price in SA or should I stay safe and buy it from here?

PS: I m aware of the warranty situation. But it s not my concern right now.

That's probably made up by local vendors. I know it is not true.

In short, no it's not true.  There is no "special build" for humidity.

• keerok

Nope.

It's more on how you take good care of it and that includes how you use it and how often .

Having been in the IT field for over 25 years, I have deployed thousands of laptops.  And have never heard that the major manufacturers assembly them any differently for different parts of the world.  There are only about five companies that make components for laptops (all the laptop makers use these same components) and those companies are in Pacific Rim region of Asia.

If there is a company that makes their laptops differently for the Middle East, it seems like it would be a company in the Middle East.  Why would a company in SA make laptops not designed for SA?  So if you purchase a laptop from a company in SA, it should be designed to work in SA.

I have never heard of any major company that makes their laptops differently for different regions of the world.

If you are concerned, there are manufacturers that make what are called "Toughbooks".  Panasonic has a good one.  They are laptops that are totally sealed so that they can not take any damage from moisture, dirt, having something spilled on them, etc.  They will even work underwater.  

But be aware that you will pay double (or more) for such a unit.

• Goerge

Untrue. Stay safe and buy it from your region. It's up to the user to provide the dehumidifier or anything associated with the environment. The manufacturer doesn't make region specific PCs as far as the weather is concerned. That's a bald faced lie meaning it couldn't be farther from the truth.

• Goerge
      1 month agoReport

Buy it from where you want. It's smart to keep the warranty in mind PRIOR to a purchase like you are doing. The special humidity protection is bs. 

When you decide on the brand and model laptop you want

contact the manufacturer and see if there is in fact any difference in the construction relative to humidity.

• kelvin

no that has nothing too do with it