Connections to Tristan and Isolde?

I'm having a hard time coming up with movies, TV shows, or books that have a similar trope or scene as the Tristan and Isolde story. I need help! 

Ex. Cinderella is similar, in that Prince Charming will only marry the maiden whose feet fit the Glass Slipper that he retrieved from the beautiful run-away maiden at the ball. King Mark also only wants to marry the girl of the golden hair he found from a bird. 

• Elaine

In some ways Romeo and Juliet.  Juliet is supposed to marry the man her parents chose but instead she falls in love with the son of her family's enemy.  One of the best examples is Arthur and Guinivere.  She is married to Arthur and falls in love with Lancelot who was Arthur's closest friend. 

It's been so long,  I can't remember if I read Tristan and Isolde. If  did I don't remember the plot. 

• Mike

Setting aside magic potions, Tristan is supposed to deliver King Mark's girlfriend to the king, but the errand boy falls in love with her. I think of Out of the Past in which Robt. Mitchum is supposed to deliver the fair damsel to his boss, Kirk Douglas, but runs off with her.

• Nancy

King Mark?  You're focusing on the wrong part.  You're looking for a story where an ingénue who is betrothed to marry a rich and powerful man her parents (or mother) want her to marry out of duty falls in love with another man, a roguish hero of a man.  That is the trope.

A perfect example of this trope is the plot of Titanic - Rose is the ingénue (Princess Iseult), Cal is the rich and powerful man she is betrothed to but doesn't love (King Mark), Ruth is her mother trying to force the arrangement and force her love (Queen Iseult), Jack is the roguish hero she goes on a journey with and falls in love with instead (Tristan).  

You can also find this trope in Arthurian legend in the story of Guinevere, Arthur, and Lancelot.  You can also find this trope in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. 

• Mike
      3 weeks agoReport

I just remembered Miles Standish.

I am not certain what popular entertainment has something like the Minne, or love potion, theme that puts the two in love. Of course, the humorous opera "The Elixir of Love" does include a love potion.