Why do people say Hell is a choice when people clearly don't want to go there?

Favorite Answer

They are being imprecise in order to make a sort of excuse.

It's like saying, "Doing time in penitentiary is a choice".

And...it is in an indirect sense

- if you don't commit any crimes you won't be sent to the penitentiary

- if you don't sin, or if you subscribe to the Christian Covenant, you won't be sent to Hell

...but in fact people (almost always) are not making the choice "penitentiary or no penitentiary" when they commit a crime 

and are (almost always) not making the choice "Hell or no Hell" when they sin.

They ARE making choices

but not THOSE choices.

Those are the CONSEQUENCES of their choices

and (typically) they have NOT chosen those consequences.

• Paul

People clearly don't want to go to jail either, but they freely choose to commit the crimes that send them there.

• Barney

All those who die go to hell which is simply the common grave where the will be until the future resurrection performed by Jesus after he removes this world where Satan is the ruler (John 12:31) and the god of this system of things (2 Cor. 4:4.

But they clearly prefer their sin.

If you want nothing to do with God in this life, He gives you what you want.  He partners with you in your decision.

When you step into eternity, your decision is honored and eternal separation from your Maker is granted.

One third of the angels who lived in paradise chose to rebel against their Maker. I'm very sure they had no clue what that rebellion would lead to: they were not given a glimpse into the future.

We have been born into a corrupt and evil world... and we are given a way out. We can see very easily what rebellion leads to. We are even given a glimpse of how it all plays out in the end through the sacred scriptures.

If you love the rebellion, then God remains your enemy. But if you are on the side of truth and seek it with all your heart, you will be rescued. We are God's Great Love Experiment.

PS. God's desire to show you mercy cannot override justice.  If you don't accept the gift of the payment (that has already been made) for your sin, you will have no recourse and will have to pay the due penalty yourself.

The only unforgivable sin is rejecting the offer of God's forgiveness.

• daylily61
      1 month agoReport

TERRIFIC answer 😃

• Jeremy

Because blaming the victim of torture for being tortured is the only ground they have to retreat to when saying their god is perfectly moral but agreeing that torture is a completely immoral practice.  

Choices have consequences.  If I decide to spend my rent money on partying, I will get evicted from my apartment.  That is not something I wanted.  But it is the result of choices that I made.

I can decide to drive drunk.  If I do, cause an accident, and kill three people, I go to jail.  That is not something I wanted.  But it is the result of choices that I made.When a person decides to ignore God, not follow him, not believe him, that is their choice.  But when they make that choice, they get the consequences (even thought they are unwanted) that go with it.  The main consequences is that they end up in hell.  Not something they wanted.  But it is the result of choices that they made.

Is she ugly looking, pretty or average?

• Deceptive language to save their god from any and all responsibility for the system he created.

• Juli

It's a cult tactic.

If you don't believe in my cult, my god is going to annihilate you.

You don't choose their cult, you choose hell.

You take their "reward" or you receive the punishment from their "loving god".

• Juli
      1 month agoReport

Lol..unconditional       what a big fat lie. .Hi Jeff. My weekend was great. Hope your weekend was too.

Only reasons I do not want to go to Hell are

It is too expensive

It is too Cold

I don't speak  Norwegian.

• Jessica
      1 month agoReport

Cheaper version here in MI.