Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Does God give us stength ? Sometimes i feel like giving up on prayer ?

I have particular flaws that I recognize in myself...I tend to become jealous easily...and I often masturbate to porn.

Since I was a teenager I have been praying to God to help me overcome these sinful character flaws. I dont want jealousy to make me miserable, and I dont want porn to ruin my sex life.

I am a young adult now, and many days I dont feel any closer to overcoming these sins than I was 10 yrs ago.

Yes he does. God answers sincere prayers. Sometimes our prayers aren't answered immediately or they are but we dont get the answer we want. Patience is strength your prayers maybe answered and you dont realize it. God helps us in ways we dont realize if we're not spiritual minded people we wont recognize it. You may be asking for the wrong thing. God knows what we need. But never stop praying.  The Bible says at Luke 11:9..

So I say to you, keep on asking,+ and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

At least you recognize your sins and you are repenting of them.  God does strengthen us and if you stay close to Him instead of the world, you will with the help of the Holy Spirit overcome these sins.  The name of Jesus Christ is powerful so use it against the devil when the spirit of jealousy and the spirit of fornication and sexual misbehavior arrive.  Pray for a wife that can stop this problem and fulfill your needs.

Try reading and meditate on what the bible says,

since you know its wrong and you continue to do those things

the bible says

Hebrews 10:26 For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, 27 but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and a burning indignation that is going to consume those in opposition.

• Ambar

Yes he can give is the strength to overcome any trial. “For all things I have the strength through the one who gives me power.” - Philippians 4:13

God also provides guidance on overcoming negative personality traits and sinful practices, see the following link for the Bible’s advice your specific endeavors… 

Jealousy… 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/w20050215/... 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/ws20120215... 

Pornography… 

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/teenagers/as... 

What "God" are you praying to?  You need to believe in Jesus for eternal life (Jesus is God), to get help.

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

Because we all are sinners, we need to do everything we can to fight against our sinful desires. But we can win the fight. How? Jesus told his followers that they must pray for help to fight temptation. (Read Luke 22:40.) Even though we pray, we may still have wrong desires or thoughts. If so, we need to “keep on asking God” for wisdom to help us fight temptations. The Bible tells us that God gives wisdom “generously to all and without reproaching.”

Source(s): “Do Not Lean Upon Your Own Understanding” https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402011841?q=go...
    • Jeff
      4 weeks agoReport

Which god, Michael? The one you can't prove is real? THAT GUY??

If you think you can just pray and then all those temptations will no longer keep a hold on you, then you're in cloud cuckoo-land and have no idea what prayer is all about. The first thing you can do is stop speaking about 'character-flaws' and call sin, sin. And it is YOUR sin, not a weakness you inherited from your parents. The next thing is to stop hoping prayer will help you benefit in having a happier life. Prayer is to ascertain the will of God for your life, and you already know you are not obedient to that will. What are YOU going to do about your addiction to porn? Keep allowing your smart-phone and computer to make it just a click away?

Change the way you pray. Stop thinking it's a letter-box to get requests delivered. Repent of using it to get personal benefits. Confess to God that you are a sinner who cannot deal with those sins you mention. Ask to be shown by the Holy Spirit the true nature of your sin, that you might see how it offends God. Know that you cannot draw near to God in a state of unholiness. You have to repent of that, and confess that only what Jesus did can save you. Ask for a vision of what it cost Christ to die for sins like yours. It could well be that you are not yet a Christian. Go back to the beginning to seek a fresh start, which can only happen at the foot of the cross. Only God can lift away the burden of your sin, but do you REALLY feel that burden? Or is what you mention just an irritation that you want rid of so as to enjoy your little life? You can't fool God. Get real before Him.

Yes, in the same way that a placebo gives strength.

Don't we also need to have faith that God IS, and that He hears us?

For me, part of faith is vision, spiritually,  seeing how I'd be different. 

As strange as it sounds, could it be you're not ready?

Regardless of what it is, I think most of us see our own flaws?

Having confidence we're being helped, say on levels we don't see, let's us get away from self condemnation. 

And what if the first problem you mention leads to the second? 

What if you became more content? 

One thing I've seen is I can't do it.  To much against it.

So if I WATCH for openings when I can overcome,  maybe build on that? 

get a grip on your life, only you can ultimately do it.