How is modern anime made?

How is modern anime made? For the characters, prepared objects (mouth, eyes, face poses) are used or are all frames drawn manually, frame-by-frame using a graphic? Or maybe they still first draw frames by hand, and then they circle and paint in graphic editors?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • C T
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Normally first an art guide book is created about what characters should look like at every angle.

A couple of things/scenes will need to be drawn first by hand on a software akin to photoshop but after that

there's lots of reusing images, frames and backgrounds. Throw a bunch of the pieces drawn into and editing software and try to make magic happen... 

there's lots of 3D when complex stuff is required. Machines more and more are CG. A lot of complex camera work is done in 3d first too and then traced over.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It really depends on the anime. The movie Redline is entirely hand-drawn, while anime like Ajin and the abomination that is Berserk (2016) are entirely CG. In other words, modern anime are made with a variety of methods. For the most part though, most anime lean towards the methods that are the easiest to use and make anime with, hence the rise of CG-only anime.

• ...Show all comments
    • Mircea The Young
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I admit I am no animator, but from what I've seen, I'd assume they used the same techniques as pretty much every other anime out there, meaning traditional animation techniques combined with CG (GC in particular makes extensive use of CG)

• 1 month ago

It's made in a wide variety of ways, just like animation from anywhere on the planet.  Traditional hand drawn cells are limited to art-house projects, along with a few major studios.  Most series are produced entirely on the computer using a variety of cell shading techniques.  The results can be spectacular to look at, like the action scenes in a series like Attack on Titan, or so dismal that it hurts your eyes, like Fist of the Blue sky.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Good anime is hand drawn and then  edited to look good by computers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.