Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Adopting a puppy for the first time?

Hi guys, I’m planning on adopting a small puppy but I want to learn about training and basic necessities before I even think about going through with it. I tried looking online for ‘instructions’ but I just found hundreds of pages on “tips” for toilet/crate training. And most of the tips were different and some were too broad. Please let me clarify now, my family never had any pets because they are allergic to the stuff in their fur(I forget what it’s called). So I don’t know much about what a puppy would need, or about house/potty/crate training; even the obvious stuff. So if anyone could please help me understand, or even refer to a good source, I would be so greatful! I just wanna make sure that I know everything that I need to know so that I can properly and lovingly take in a new member to my family! I don’t want to miss anything!

I think you asking shows maturity, and though some are saying to "do the research", I'm sure you are, but you also are trying to see what everyday people say about raising dogs. 

My only suggestion is find a dog that fits your lifestyle, don't change your lifestyle for a dog. If you like lounging around, get a dog who will lounge with you. If you aren't sure about breeds, ask your humane society and I'm sure they can help or just search!

Also here is a picture of my puppy!

Make sure you purchase a shock collar. It's THE most valuable training tool. 

• Jordan4 weeks agoReport

I use a shock collar for training but it has a vibrate function which I prefer to use on walks to get my dogs attention when she doesn't listen. A lot of people can view this as inhumane as it can irritate dogs skin, but when used correctly can be fine for training, just not prefered

If you aren't willing to put in the time to research how to "manage" a dog, DON'T GET A DOG.

So your family is allergic to the "stuff dogs have in their fur" but you are getting a dog anyway?

When doing your research, look up "dander."

We can't give you any more information than you can find in doing the research. Run any questions you have through Google & get the answers you are looking for.

There are hundreds of thousands of sites on any kind of dog training. There are probably as many books written on dog training. I can tell you that the first two things a puppy needs to be trained in is to 'stop puppy biting' cause ALL puppies bite, they do & it needs to be stopped as soon as possible. & teaching it to go outside to go potty. NO PEE PADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO CRATE TRAINING. I think a crate is a great bed but I would remove the door & not use it to lock a dog/puppy in. If you don't want the pup to have run of the house you can use a child's gate to keep pup in uncarpeted room. You can also get an 'exercise pen for dogs' google it. This is what I recommend, it is portable & you can use it at the dog park, on the beach, out in the yard, where ever you need it.

A lot of these people brought up great points and had some good answers, but I will tell you, the one darn thing I didn't consider when getting a puppy, even though mine is on the "older" puppy side (turning 5 months this month), is this- WEATHER. If it gets bitterly cold in your state or snows, you need a backup play plan. Playing outside is a great way to get out their wiggles, but if the weather prevents that, you have to find a way to keep yours occupied indoors without ruining things. My puppy has a ton of puzzle toys, rope toys, chews, and stuffies to keep him entertained, as the high was, oh, 12 yesterday. 

Also, check out your local community and see if no one offers a beginning puppy class for people like yourself, so you can really see what it's about. I know in my community, they offer what's called "The First-Time Puppy/Dog Owner's Class" that costs $20 per class and is usually a few sessions. They will guide you on every little detail, from breeds, ages, and shots, and how to troubleshoot puppy training issues, potty training, etc. I think you could do with something like that! Hands on, real people with with questions, and real dog trainers who have been through it all.

• Maxi

You need to find out first what breed/breed type is best suited to you.... most of the large kibble manuacturers do "what breed is right for me" quizzes, that can give you an idea about breeds/breed types suitable for your lifestyle.... most good rescues will also help/advise you about this as well.... then decide what age dog/pup... both will need training and some breeds are easier than others to train.....find a local dog training club as if you can go and watch a starter class, ANY good DTC will welcome you, tell the trainer you ar a new potential dog owner and getting everything in place before you look for a dog/pup...you can watch, speak to owners/handlers and get lots of research done and questions ansered about what you want before you commit.

Read and learn about NILIF it is a very good and basic training suitable for all and any dogs/owners and you start from day one, so you are consistant with your training and that means it is eay for the dog/pup to learn you are in charge ( not them) and they learn very quickly https://k9aro.webs.com/nilif.htm on the same site is basic and simple Toilet Training  and Chewing pages....obviously whatever dog/pup you get you get it checked out for health/vaccinations etc by your vet and register you/your pet with them and as soon as you can join a local  dog training class so you learn first hand.....

Raising/training a puppy is a full-time job.  

How many hours a day are you planning to leave the puppy alone?   If the answer is more than 2-3, a puppy is not for you.    Consider an adult dog. 

• Jack H

Puppies are cute, but, bloody exhausting, if you are unable to cope with many hours per day, training, cleaning, playing, training again, then don't adopt a puppy, if you can't be at home most of every day, don't adopt a puppy, if you can't easily afford vets fees, damage replacement, food bills, don't adopt a puppy. If you can't work out how to train, feed and care for a young animal, don't adopt a puppy...

I have two dogs, and house training them was easy, but you will have some accidents in the house, its unavoidable really. Basically I just left the dogs out in the back garden every hour when I was there. You need to be stern with them, but not aggressive or scary. Reward them when they go to the toilet outside.

The trick with dogs is repetition repetition. And simple words. I used to repeat the word pee and make them go outside, they would stay there until they did their business, (1 or 2 or both) then congratulate and reward them. They learned pretty quick. Now when I open the door and say pee, they go out and quickly do their business if they have to.

Also remember to leave your little buddy out every time he finishes a meal. Puppies generally poo after eating, so right away after they finish, leave them outside. Keep a consistent routine and they will learn. Don't punish them for making a mistake in the house. If you do, they will go off and hide when they try to pee or poo in house

• Magmalad
      4 weeks agoReport

And zots leave that toxic anger at the door kiddo. You'll make yourself sick. I have two very happy and well trained dogs, so suck my balls gay boy

"Refer to a good source"? Are you really that helpless that you can't GOOGLE how to care for a puppy?

How are you adopting a puppy when it sounds like you are an EXTREMELY young person living with your parents? They are ALLERGIC to dogs and CAN'T HAVE ONE.

If you're actually an adult then wow - you sound WAY too immature to have ANY pet much less a puppy. Puppies are a LOT of work. I also doubt you have a job that 1) allows you the LUXURY of affording to adopt and properly care for a pet and 2) allows you to leave every couple of hours to go home and let the puppy out of its crate so it can go potty.

• E. H. Amos
      4 weeks agoReport

OP CLEARLY said... they were overwhelmed with videos on all sorts of subjects related to this, and found only "tips" many which were all different from each other and/or too broad.  I think referral to some puppy training books, is what OP wanted.