Do we need a gender neutral pronoun?

Eg. They/them

Personally I would find it extremely offensive if someone called me they and not she. 

What are your opinions?

Favorite Answer

No. Americans have gone bat sh** crazy. You are either a male or a female and it's not up to society to make adjustments to accommodate a tiny handful of people who are lost and confused. They need help. Not a pronoun. 

Pronouns refer to sex. I'm not changing them. I do not f#cking care how much you scream.

Yes, because some people don't like to be referred to as "he/him" or "she/her", and would rather be referred to as "they/them". Besides, They with a singular antecedent goes back to the Middle English of the 14th century, and has remained in common use for centuries in spite of its proscription by traditional grammarians beginning in the early 18th century. Singular they is found in the writings of many respected authors. It has been commonly employed in everyday English ever since then, and has gained currency in official contexts. I'd rather have "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun, than "he" or even "she"

That everyone should be called "it" because if we don't provide the dignity owed to some people, we should withdraw it from everyone in the interests of fairness.

• Sam
      4 weeks agoReport

Had anonymous asker not said that it was a she, I would've called her "It"    Truth is that we are all It's  (It plural, not a contraction for "it is" 

• Zirp

Yes of course. A new pronoun would be very convenient whenever the sexe is unknown (unborn baby) or irrelevant (when you need a doctor)

Not that the anglos are going to introduce one anytime soon....

Recently the English guardians in the US have resolved a long standing issue with pronoun gender. What pronoun do you use when you don't know the gender of a noun.

EX: Someone came to my door and (he or she) knocked on it.

Now, it is permissible, according to those who set the rules, to use the plural pronoun.

EX: Someone came to my door and they knocked on it.

I'm sure some old timers will blanch at this, but it's true. You can look it up yourself. And those of you in English class better have that evidence ready when your English teacher gives you a bad grade for using the plural. English teachers will be the last to know in some schools.

• We already have one. Anyone who can't identify with he or she should be called it.

"Do we need a gender neutral pronoun?"

Yes we do, for two reasons.

1. For gender variant/non-binary people.

2. When you are unsure of a person's gender "they" or "them" is the least awkward way to refer to them.