Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Newbie to the gym, am I doing enough to see results eventually?

First off i'm a 25 year old 6'2" male at 210lb. My diet consists of 4 eggs for breakfast, a salad or something light for lunch, and 2 chicken breast with steamed veggies for dinner. This totals up to about 1500ish calories a day including snacks (fruits and veggies). And a ton of water. On days I work out I add an extra chicken breast for dinner and drink a protean shake when I get home from the gym. I don't drink alcohol or eat junk food. I have one cheat day a week where I just eat whatever I want for dinner.

My gym routine is 12 reps 3 sets (waiting 30 sec between each set) of each of the following workouts at weights that challenge me. I go to the gym every other day.

Due to back issues I can only use "pulley" style machines, or machines that are not hard on the spine. Because of this I am limited with the types of exercises I can do.

Chest Press x3

Leg Press x3

Lat Pull-down x3

Shoulder Press x3

Leg Curl x3

Bicep Curl x3

Tricep Extension x3

Leg Extension x3

Seated Rows x3

Abdominal Machine x3

Treadmill at 7mph for 1.5 miles.

It takes me a little over an hour to finish everything, and I leave exhausted. I've been at it for a few weeks and I don't see any results. I don't know if this is because I see myself every day and can't tell the difference, or if I'm just straight up wasting my time because i'm doing this wrong/inefficiently. Any input from experienced gym goers would be greatly appreciated. 

A few weeks is hardly any time at all when it comes to visually changing your body, especially if you're overweight. Fat covers up muscle definition. 

It takes time for the mirror to shift, and sometimes even longer for your brain to see what's there instead of what you expect. Our eyes are unreliable. That's why numbers are important - they're concrete. Try tracking body measurements as well as how much you're lifting for each exercise.That second one will be the first place you see a difference. As long as it's going up, you're getting stronger. Something is changing even if you don't see it yet. It's also a great way to find out what works best for you - experiment a little and compare the rate of change.

One last suggestion. You said you leave the gym exhausted. There are good kinds of exhausted, but if you're walking out miserable or waking up the next day too sore to move well, go a little easier on yourself. Maybe try rotating muscle groups, add in some pre-workout carbs. Enjoying your workout matters. All the discipline in the world won't stop burnout if there's an internal war every time gym day comes around. Be intentional about building up positive experiences and associations - they'll keep you in it for the long haul.

The most bang for your buck would be to simply Youtube the exercises you are doing or want to do. I'm 100% sure your form is bad, you have no range of motion and you may be short changing yourself in terms of how much weight or sets and reps you can do.

I'll give an anecdote: Look around the gym. You'll inevitably see this guy; He puts on one, 45lb plate and eight 10lb plates and one 3lb plate. While he is lifting the same amount of weight as 3-4 more 45lb plates the problem is that in his mind he can only lift one, 45lb plate. He is a 45lb plate guy. Like I said, it's all in his mind, You are watching the event and doing the math, he is a 4 plate guy but he'll never put them on the machine until he puts them in his head.

Without seeing your form, no way to know if you are doing anything wrong.

Also, if you are doing the exact same workout every time, your body adapts and your results slow way down.

Firstly, if youre trying to bulk you need to eat more, look up how much you need online (for reference i am 5'11 and need 3000 calories to gain weight). Some of this weight will be fat but is just how it be. If youre doing full body workout then add in squat, deadlift (if ok on your back), pull ups. Look up athleanx on youtube, he is the best gym youtuber and has heaps of videos on correct form and what not. 

Lastly, it takes months to years to get a noticeable difference,but as youre a newbie youll see results soon. When i first started it was my friends who noticed a difference before i did so maybe that is what is happening. Good luck, and stay consisted! That is the hardest bit.

I know they were wrong because a few months ago I did my first ever ... turning myself from an overweight 37-year-old into a Men's Fitness ... When we were constructing the nutrition system for New Body Plan ... As a result, nothing is completely off-limits and if you do eat something .... Super-Caesar Salad.