I have a property sale problem with my estranged brother, I feel trapped and need some advice/opinions on a way out for me, please read on.?

My brother and I jointly own a two family duplex, we both live on different floors. We haven't spoken, except to discuss the house, in six years, the reasons are irrevelant in regard to my problem. He told me a few months ago he wanted his share of the house, so I said fine, we'll sell it. The problem is he is doing nothing to help me clean out the basement (it's mostly his stuff) or make his part of the house presentable to have potential buyers look at it and offer a good price. I can't do it myself because of a disability in my arm, many of his items are heavy and I don't know what he wants to discard or keep. I feel like I'm trapped and don't know what to do? Any advice? Thx.

ask him to pay for someone to do it

This sounds like your should consult a real estate attorney. None of us on Yahoo Answers have legal backgrounds. Our advice would be worthless or even harmful.

• Foofa

Tell Bro he's got a proscribed amount of time to get this done or you'll be calling Got Junk? to come take it all away. It also might help to have a realtor tell him the selling price will be lower if the place is a mess when they show it.

Here are two choices:

1)  Hire someone to come with a dumpster and haul the crap out of the basement.  Whatever the charge is you can take it off his profit share of the sale.

2)  Put the house up for sale and leave the crap in the basement.  After the duplex is sold, it is HIS PROBLEM and not yours.  Take your check and move on leaving him to take care of the basement and clean his own place.

Also, as the Duplex is shown, people will make comments about the basement and his place and the realtor should address this TO HIM and NOT YOU.  You don't have any ownership of his problems.

Please feel free to introduce yourself to the group, tell a bit about who ... Hello, my son walked out on the whole family four years ago, ...... My two adult daughters have ostracized me since I divorced their father three years ago. ...... live in one half of a duplex we owned at reduced rent…you get the picture.