Will a car dealership lower the price of a brand new car?

I want to get a new car but they don't have the color I want at the dealership near me. It is available at another dealer 50 miles north of me. Is it possible to haggle down a new car to do business with them or should I just go get the color I want? The other dealer is 50 miles away but it takes an hour and a half or more to get there because of traffic and city stoplights. 

• zipper

Yes you could get the price down a little, but why is it so hard to drive 5 miles to get the color you want, you make no sense.

• Landon4 weeks agoReport

You wanna drive though Washington DC in the middle of the day with a brand new car?

Yes, they will, but not an awful lot, and not until you start heading for the door. When my wife bought her new car, they wouldn't give in so we went home. Then they called her on the phone and said

"Your car is ready for pickup". We went back and she got the price she wanted. Not a LARGE discount, but enough to make her happy. Dealers make the majority of their money in the service dept., and on the resale of used cars, not selling new cars.

Your local dealer should be able to swap a car with the other dealer to get you the color you want. Ford did it for me. Subaru was going to until I changed my mind on the color.

• F

You used too be able to get a big discount on a new car by paying cash. When interest rates were high, they wanted your money in the bank. These days at 1% interest they make more money by selling you finance,(at 10-30% apr) so discounts are harder to come by.

Yes nothing is set in stone

Threatening to go to another dealer is a tried and true (though innefective) method that won't actually get you a better deal. You're thinking that this is a negotiation tool, and it isn't. Dealers will simply dealer trade to obtain the color you want. New vehicle prices are set in stone. MSRP is what it is, dealer cost is what it is, and rebates are already set. Both dealers can give you exactly the same deal on the car you want. 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.
  • Nancy

Yes, you should definitely haggle on the price no matter what. Also, if you tell the dealer you've decided to go get that other car because you're really adamant about that color, the dealer will get you the color you want, possibly even that very car from the other dealership. Dealerships trade and exchange cars with each other all the time for such purposes.

You’re an idiot if you don’t haggle. Every salesman expects you to haggle to lower the price. If you don’t then you’re his dream customer. 

• YKhan

Yes, of course they will haggle with you, that's the whole point of buying a car from a dealership. However, since you've already got your heart set on a specific colour of car, you are already at a disadvantage to the dealer, as your weakness is the colour. If you can give up on the color, then you can be more flexible with your negotiations.

• Landon1 month agoReport

Yes, but can't this be used as a negotiation strategy? Saying "oh, you guys don't have this color, I'm gonna go next door and get it from them instead." 

• Jay

you are a fool if you ever buy any vehicle for asking price