Is leaving a job to care for a family member a bad move?

My grandma is 95, she still lives in her own home and she's had someone looking after her but they will be moving away soon.  My parents think she needs to be in a nursing home, but she fights it and she asked me if I would be interested in caring for her.

My current supervisor said it's a really stupid idea because the jobs I need now are resume' builders.  He said my resume' looks like crap as it is and leaving a job after several weeks to care for a family member will just make it look worse.  I had a job were the company went out of business then I ended up working as a janitor for 3 years.  I took a security job that I worked at for a little over a year before I left to work for a small company.  The boss was a total jerk but I stayed for about 6 years.  Nobody could ever do anything right for him and I know for a fact he's told people that I'm stupid and can't do anything.  He even told a customer that I was a "special needs" employee.  I left and now I've been an armed guard for several weeks.

My supervisor said if my Grandma were to break her hip next week and she can never go back home, I'll be out of a job.  I totally hated being a janitor and security is such a joke I'd never want another security job, I just never get much choice.  

I wouldn't consider this but it's my Grandma and I really don't want to put her in a nursing home.

Favorite Answer

When we all get to 95, hopefully, we will still want to make our own decisions. Younger people have no clue about this. So your idea about looking after your Grandma is commendable. Ignore the miserable sh*ts on here who would just dump her. You have principles we should all admire. Your Grandma is fortunate to have you. So go for it.

so u have no education to do anything else but no skills required either janitor or guard and u say u hate both of thm and never want to do them again? so what will u do when your grandma dies? the oldest a human can live is 110 years, so even if your grandma lives up to 110 u only have 15 years left. what will u do after with no education, no skills, no resume and 15 years older when it is not cute any more to be unskilled with no resume?

Your thoughts are noble, but you cannot provide care 24/7. If she needs help with her daily life put her in AN ASSISTED LIVING home/facility. Meals are provided, but the resident still has some freedom. Then, if her health does go downhill the place has the staff to tend to her. Fulfill your duties (of love, caring, etc) by visiting every week. {Maybe join her for Sunday dinner every week.} My wife and I honored my father that way for 2 years until his body finally gave out. You need to stay in the workforce (whatever you choose).

Honestly, your resume doesn't sound that bad to me

This few week job isn't going to go on your resume, if you leave.  But it doesn't matter.  It's not difficult to get guard jobs.

However, you need to consider if working with Grandma all day 24/7 is the right thing for you.  Although I love my elderly relatives, it would not be a good idea for me or them, if we lived together. 

95 year olds don't always know what's best for them.  She needs professional care.  And not rookie relatives.  

• Judy

Realistically, a nursing home might be best for her, where there are trained people to take care of her. You don't really have the training you'd need to take care of her. Also, at 95 realistically she won't be around for many more years, and she'll continue to need more and more help. You can help by visiting her often and letting her know you love her.

It's depressing taking care of old person