Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 month ago

Could I have a failed kidney?? Or is it my sciatic nerve? ?

For the longest time my left lower back has been hurting for as long as I can remember. It’s not my back. It’s like “in there.” It’s my left side like where my kidney is. I don’t know what a failed kidney feels like. But it always hurts. I don’t have urine problems or anything but I don’t know if like it’s failed so I don’t have symptoms but pain there? I could go to the doctor but I don’t have insurance and I’m not able to pay the bill because I know it’ll be a lot probably. I know I could live with one kidney but if it is failed, what if it poisons my body or something? 

Is that a thing? 

I know no one is a doctor here. I’m just simply seeing if anyone has had anything like this. 

It’s been so long of me having this pain. It’s right where my kidney would be located. Idk if it from my job I used to have for four years of standing for 8 hours, leaning on that side? I would lean on both but I think more on the side(left side) that hurts. 

I’ll end up going to the doctor hopefully soon. But I need to get insurance 

I know that you don't have any insurance, and that you're wanting an answer from here, but the best idea is to go to the doctor.  There are a whole bunch of stuff in your left upper quadrant as your describing, and it is very hard to say what it is.  There are some places that will allow you to pay in increments.  Let them know that you don't have insurance and that you're low income.

• Edna

I've had sciatica and I've also had a kidney infection.

The sciatic nerve runs no where near your kidneys. Sciatic pain is usually felt in a buttock and goes all the way down the back of one leg to your toes. It hurts whether you're sitting or whether you're lying down. Sometimes, it's caused by a pinched nerve. You're usually prescribed pain medication for pain and a muscle relaxer to relax the nerve. 

You have a kidney on the left and on the right side of your lower body - not just on the left side. Most people don't ever have a "failed" kidney. You might get a kidney infection, but your kidney won't "fail" - it will go on working. If you have a kidney infection in either kidney, your entire lower back will ache constantly very badly and you might run a fever. You have to take antibiotics in order to cure the infection. 

If you have only one functioning kidney and it fails (completely shuts down), you will die unless you undergo kidney dialysis about twice a week or have a kidney transplant.  

Either one - sciatic pain or kidney infection - it won't cost "a lot" for a doctor to determine which it is. 

If the flank pain is accompanied with a fever at times,then the urine is not leaving the kidney properly and causing infection

If there has been no urine infection but only deep aching in the flank,there is probably nothing serious.

Find a way to have the kidney function tested,pain is always a symptom.

• Diane A
      1 month agoReport

BTW, "failed" kidneys do not cause pain like that

• Pippin

That's not where your kidney is. 

Lots of things can cause pain in this area, including standing off-balance. See a doctor. 

Just got to the doctor if you having these issues 

A few other things to consider:

– A poor mattress that's lumpy or has lost its firmness.

– Sleeping on one side too much of the time.

– Tight or ill-fitting clothing.

– Keeping stuff in one back pocket.

– Non-symmetrical habits and motions, such as bowling or golf.

I do think you should make an appointment with a doctor. Normally a patient can make arrangements with their office to spread payments out over a period of time. You'll probably receive a vague diagnosis and a prescription for some pain meds stronger than the over-the-counter kind. If your symptoms do point to kidney trouble, there are tests that can clarify the situation.

Not that I think anything is wrong with your kidney, but for your info, my grandmother died from kidney cancer. When the doctors examined and tested her, they were shocked to see she was functioning with the one failing kidney, her other kidney was all shriveled up!  Two of her symptoms we're back pain and the inside of her mouth and tongue was bright red and she said everything she ate tasted bad. I hope you can get checked out by a doctor someday.

My friend had severe lower back problems.  Unfortunately, he lost his health insurance because of Obamacare.  At first, the doctors refused to see him because of the rules of Obamacare.  It turns out he had kidney failure and he died within weeks of finding out.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Obamacare isn't a health insurance company & it doesn't provide health insurance & it doesn't "cover" anybody.  It's only a brokerage agency that refers people who sign up to health  insurance companies. It someone can't afford health insurance, they are treated under Medicaid - not by Obamacare. 

Yes..... nobody here is a doctor

IT's almost certainly a stressed back muscle. But people like you are what the ACA is for- also known as Obamacare. You can get lowcost insurance so you can see a doctor. 

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Obamacare doesn't provide health insurance for anybody and it doesn't "cover" anybody. It only refers people to private health insurance companies, where they might be able to purchase health insurance.