Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why are we shocked to see other women without make up? And why do women make nasty comments and judge if you dont wear make up?

I am female

• Cogito

"We" aren't.  

You may be, but most women really don't care, we wouldn't be "shocked", we certainly wouldn't make any rude comments to someone not made-up and we don't judge.  

Only a really shallow woman would give a second's thought to someone not wearing make-up.

You must be very easily shocked.

When I see someone not wearing make up, who usually does, I just think (but don't SAY) 'Oh dear, she looks awfully tired'.

I wear very little make up myself, and never have. Moisturiser, mascara, lipstick, sometimes soem eyebrow pencil as I get older and my eyebrows get pale. That's it.I've never understood how anybody could be bothered with layers of this and that and blusher and concealer and all the rest of it.Life is too short.

probably cause they think its weird not to wear it, i dont wear makeup myself

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am not shocked to see other women without makeup. I have never received a nasty comment or a judgement regarding my lack of makeup. Where are you getting this bizarre information from???

• Foofa

The expectation that all women have to wear makeup is just social conditioning. Why this is so shocking just comes down to that. There was a time when seeing a woman out without gloves was considered déclassé.

Who is "we"? 

I haven't worn make-up in 20 years except for special occasions, and mostly not even then anymore.   No one has ever said anything to me about it let alone said anything "nasty".   Zero people have appeared "shocked".

Are YOU part of the "we" who is "shocked" and who says "nasty" things to women without makeup?    That sure says something about YOU...

P.S.  If one spends 15 minutes a day doing make-up, that's about six months of one's life spent (presuming one wears make-up for 50 years).   I have other things I'd rather be doing with that time.   Your mileage may vary.

• drip
      4 weeks agoReport

I agreed with you up to your PS. Why the need to insult women who do wear make up. 

• reme_1

We have been programmed for women to wear makeup and wear certain clothing and share their legs, and do their hair nicely ever day. When someone steps out of that programming some people freak out.

Some women choose to wear make-up every day and so they perhaps do not understand or agree with those who choose not to wear make-up, or only wear make-up for a specific occasion. Making nasty comments serves as a way of distracting from one's own life, as it is easier to criticize others than look internally.

Where do you live? It's a lot less common for women to wear makeup in the northeast than in the southeast and parts of the west coast like LA. I've never heard anyone make nasty comments about someone for not wearing makeup, although I've seen women that I would like to do a makeover on!

I've never actually heard a woman call someone out for not wearing makeup. I've only heard people say nasty things about people wearing too much! Makeup doesn't make up new features out of the blue, it just enhances what's already there. If someone wants to wear it, let them. It doesn't affect you. If they don't want to wear it, then big deal! As long as they take care of their skin and are healthy, there's nothing to think about. And in my experience, they usually don't.

Source(s): Wear makeup for a few weeks when feeling motivated. Stop for a few weeks when don't. Nobody treats me differently at all.