Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 weeks ago

The driver of a business vehicle did $1k damage to my car (in NY), but gave incorrect insurance info on the police report.?

The driver gave his correct name and employer name, but "accidentally" gave wrong insurance info. Is *my* insurer obligated to hunt down the facts and get my car fixed even though I do not have comprehensive coverage on my car?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Comprehensive coverage isn't for moving motor vehicle accidents. For moving accidents, you need to have Liability and Collision coverage.  

If you have Collision, all your need to do is file a claim with your insurance company. Your company will pay to repair your car, after your deductible is applied.  Your insurance company will track down the other guy, and you don't have to worry about that. They have the resources to do so, and they won't have much trouble doing it, since they have his name and the name of the company that owns the vehicle he was driving, that's all they need.

If all you have is Liability  coverage, you're out of luck and you'll have to pay for the repair to your car out of your own pocket. Liability only covers the damage that you cause to another party's vehicle. It doesn't cover any damage to your vehicle.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes they will hunt him down and make him pay

• 4 weeks ago

You would need collision coverage, not comprehensive. It is up to you to chase down the driver and his employer to make your property damage claim. Your insurance company, legally, can do nothing for you.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

If he has Collison coverage, his insurance company will pay to repair his car, after applying his deductible. If all he has is Liability coverage, he's out of luck.

• 4 weeks ago

No.

Your insurer is not part of this process at all since you don't have collision coverage.

Comprehensive coverage is for when your car is damaged by things other than cars (trees, fires, etc).  It is not part of this claim either.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No. Because you don't carry Comprehensive coverage your insurance company isn't obligated to to help. Call the employer and request the insurance information. If they refuse to provide it then retain a lawyer.  

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Even if he had Comprehensive coverage, it wouldn't be a part of this claim. For a moving accident, he needs Collision coverage. Comprehensive is for other damages that are not a result of a moving accident  (fire, a tree falling on your car, vandalism, a broken window, etc..).

• Scott
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

If you only have liability coverage, your insurer isn't going to do much for you. You're paying for the minimum and that's what they will give you. I would contact the employer to get the correct information. If they won't give it to you, lawyer up.

• 4 weeks ago

If you don't have comprehensive cover your insurance company is obliged to cover damage caused by you to other peoples' property. It is not obliged to cover damage to your vehicle.

You chose the level of cover so now it's down to you to pursue this claim. Good luck.

• Percyqted
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

I must be mixing up UK and USA insurance terms.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you don't have coverage then the insurance company doesn't have to do anything. It's up to you to pay for damage or sue the driver and company and hope for the best.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

If he has Collision coverage, his insurance company will pay to repair his car, less his deductible. If all he has is Liability coverage, he might as well not even file a claim because his ins. company won't pay anything to repair his vehicle, nor will they hunt down the other driver.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.