Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Is 14 a long life for a cat?

My cat just died yesterday and I feel his life was cut short. I heard they usually live to the 20s

• Ocimom

Average inside cat that is neutered/spayed and has good vet care and food will live about 15 yrs.  My oldest two cats were 15 1/2 and 18.  Its not so common to live in the 20's.

• ZotsRule
      3 weeks agoReport

My domestic Stellaluna passed away in January at 22 years, 7 months old.

• J C

A typical domestic at who has been properly cared for generally has a live expectancy of 12-16 years.  Some live longer but it's like a human who lives into their late 90's - not typical.   As long as you were properly caring for your cat, and it did not have an illness or condition that should have been addressed at the vet, then you cat did live an average life span.   

depends what breed was it. I have Siamese, I read they live only till 11

• J C
      4 weeks agoReport

Properly bred Siamese are long lived - mine have all lived to 18 or 19.   

12-15 years is more normal though occasionally they can live longer. I had a cat that passed away in January at 22 years and 7 months.

But what was wrong with your cat? Was it under treatment for something? Was it sick and you did nothing? We can't know if this cat could have lived longer because we have no clue about how/why it died.

i think its a long life for a cat

12-16 is average, so it sounds like he did what he was supposed to do ...and when he was supposed to do it.

I've had a cat live to age 21 and encountered cats up to age 26, but that is not typical.

And if we say "yes, his life was cut short" what exactly are you going to do about it?  You had 14 years with him, remember those, don't whine about things you can't control.

A life expectancy is only an average rather than a given.  I'm in my thirties, but that doesn't mean I couldn't drop dead right now.