If I admit to my boss that I am having (personal) health issues, will I make the situation worse?

Let's say I am falling behind on stuff at work. I am finding it hard to concetrate and to find motivation. To be honest, I am in a really F'D up situation health-wise. I am 29, I have sleep apea which caused my heart to become enlarged which puts me at a high risk of fatal arrhythmia. I might need heart surgery in the first or second quarter of 2020. If my boss sits down to talk to me about my performance issues at work and I bring this up, am I only shooting myself in the foot? Will I be more likely to be fired?

Unless there is an contractual obligation for you to reveal your health issues, you decide if you wish to disclose this to your Manager. However, if your work performance is being impacted and you say nothing, theoretically this might backfire if your health issues come out after the fact. Non-disclosure may be perceived as you being dishonest and lacking respect for your organization.

Yes, tell your boss about it, but only AFTER you've seen your doctor and started on a regime to deal with your various health problems.

Your boss wants to know that although you have problems, you are DEALING WITH them.

i dont think so

• Foofa

Talk to your doctor about whether you should maybe be home on disability while you await the outcome of your medical treatment. This would be better than waiting around until you get fired for failure to perform.

• drip

You get a note / documentation from the doctors and go through your HR department. 

Are you using a CPAP machine at night? What are you doing to combat the issue? Have you talked to your doctor about lack of concentration?  What is being done to make that better. You can’t just be sitting around waiting to have to have heart surgery.  

Technically you do not have to reveal any thing about your health problems. Only are are having some and they are being addressed.  

I would talk to your HR department first. 

Should you talk to your boss?  Yes, especially if this is affecting your job performance.  Do it before you're called in for poor performance.

• In

Use of a CPAP machine will reverse the heart enlargement.  Talk to your boss and explain your health situation now.  If he knows you have a legitimate health issue he would be less likely to fire you for inadequate performance.  

• reme_1

You might want to discuss this with your H R dept. Protect yourself.

• marty

If you've been with the company for a long time and have done your job well, I would let them know and perhaps they can put you in a position you can do easier. If you haven't been there long, I suggest you quit and find a job you can do and let the company hire a person that can work without distractions.  I've had heart surgery and its rough, but you'll be fine. I wish you luck.

• Kyle

this is difficult to answer.  some companies do take care of their employees and let them get what they need medically first, then come back to see if their job performance improves after.  if you've been with your company for a while, and have good relationships with your manager, i'd bring it up.  your health should come first.  and hopefully you have good health insurance to cover what you need to.  maybe discuss it with someone in HR first.