My TSH is 4.7 and my T3 and T4 are in normal range - do I need medication?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

ASK YOUR DOCTOR.

• Cathy1 month agoReport

I DID. Getting some additional information, thank you. Geez.

• 1 month ago

Dan is correct in that it considered subclinical hypothyroidism. If your T4 is normal and they give you medication which is in fact T4 what do you think can happen? Normally one waits until the TSH is over 10 or if the T4 is low. 

Giving medication is normally avoided because of the dangers of over medication and ending up being hyperthyroid. This happens in 20% of cases. 

Depending on symptoms and if the person has a positive antibody test for thyroid some doctors will treat subclinical hypothyroidism with such numbers on an individual basis. In general the practice guidelines asks doctors to refrain from treating subclinical hypothyroidism. 

https://journals.aace.com/doi/pdf/10.4158/EP12280....

• 1 month ago

It's normal.  They don't treat subclinical hypothyroidism until the TSH goes up to 10.

• Cathy1 month agoReport

Just went to another provider and he agreed. No meds for now. Found other underlying issues that may be contributing, so I stopped for now. 

• 1 month ago

Everybody is dramatically undersupported with iodine. For your precious health, please do the iodine cure recommended by Dr. Brownstein.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to ask your doctor this question

• Cathy1 month agoReport

I have, thank you, and am on medication. Just doing a lot of research.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.