Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Why are Books no longer Popular?

That was a great answer! And yes, I was mainly referring to people's claims that said things such as "Books are no longer popular".

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

Like Her Imperial Highness, I reject the premise of your question.

According to statista.com, the publishing industry had worldwide revenue of over 55 billion (!) USD in 2015** in "consumer" publications and the same amount on top in "professional" and "educational" publications.

That's over 100 billion dollars.

I don't know about you but I think that if books truly were that unpopular, these figures should be considerably lower.

As others have suggested, you might wanna look beyond your personal bubble before making sweeping assessments as your "books are no longer popular".

Oh, and looking at actual data does help. I'm aware that a shockingly large number of people nowadays care more about feelings than facts. I am not one of them, and you shouldn't be one, either.

* https://www.statista.com/statistics/288824/consume...

**  after that the figures are projections

On page 136, it is claimed that The Benson Murder Case is “widely ... David L. Vineyard Says: .... I buy just about every crime/mystery reference book that is ..... That Ellery Queen's books are no longer popular, nor Gardner's for that ..... This promises to be the best analysis of a detective story writer that I've ...

Please first define 'popular' in this context, and then show us your sources for claiming that books are "no longer popular".

• Lili

Who says they aren't?  Everyone I know loves to read, and I'm running out of space for bookshelves in my condo.

The number of books published each year has not gone down.

So where are you getting your information?

Technology. But for me Books > Electronics any day of the week

• Cogito

They are.  They're very popular.

It's true that many people no longer have room to store hundreds of hard-copy books, so buy many in digital format, but I can assure you that millions of books are bought every month around the world.

• Marli

A troll question to spark controversy?  What made you think books are no longer popular?

Books have been popular since the times they were written on clay tablets and papyrus scrolls.  Not even You Tube has dimmed the popularity of the book.  Audible is merely a book read aloud. E books are digitized versions of books.

cause people would rather do other stuff than read sometimes

Its because of social media..  we dont have a very long attention span...

• Crazy1 month agoReport

Yes.. the more technology..the more lazy we get exclamation mark