Do you believe cops should live in the city or town that they patrol?

Some cities/ towns have laws that require it.

Favorite Answer

Yes,.

Heres why:

The Marin county sheriffs dept used to have an in county-residence policy. The deputies got to Know everyone on their beat, many were their neighbors. More effective, friendly force.  Later, they eliminated the requirement when housing costs skyrocketed in Marin. Since then, deputies from say Sonoma county have been using excess force, lawsuits. The reasons aren't clear if its because these out of towners are out of touch, or,  possibly, they feel they can just cuff anyone up for their "own protection", it doesn't matter as they aren't neighbors. 

I cant find the court case, but a few years ago a lady noted MCSD deputies  poking around her barn, They had opened her gate. She challenged them, asked what they were doing, there?   Have a warrant? One roughly cuffed her, said nothing. After her release , she sued. She stated she Never had any problems with MCSD earlier, when they lived in Marin. It turns out, those deputies were investigating  a Different piece of property, anyway, the complaint was for one down the road from her.  the rural roads aren't well marked; the older deputies Knew the land. The Sonoma  county deputies Don't. 

• james

In America. I think they should live inside there patrol area. Inside the city. This would solve a lot of there problems in the area they patrol. 

No.  If there's crime going on in that town, how do we know they're not involved in it?  Especially in a small town where everyone knows everyone else and they all fuggin their cousins and their siblings anyway.

• Bruce

There is no need for one, as long as I show up on time for work. We found having a residency requirement made it difficult to recruit the best people, so it was eliminated. I'm not required to answer my phone off duty, so how fast I can get there is irrelevant.  

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

One old lady died of heart attack during a  MAR.

Absolutely. A cop parks his next town over patrol vehicle out by the road in my town. Beat it pig.

No. Why should they?

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

See My answer. I had  court cases on excess forces lawsuits attributable to  deputies living outside the county they work in.

it might not be a bad idea since they could get there faster

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

It essential peace officers get to know the people on their beats, much easier if they live there. More efficient, friendly force. Better to get to Know if a certain neighbor isn't  trouble, and another Is. Prevents excess force lawsuits. 

I think it's helpful but not necessary.

I think it's a good idea, yes.  Cleveland is that way.  It's that way for it's FD, too.