are the plant hamburgers really as good as they say they are on tv?

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

Just out of curiosity, I tried the one from Carl's Jr (Hardee's) and to me, it tasted the same as their beef burgers. Of course, now they're saying it has just as much fat and calories as beef too, so there's no real health advantage to eating the non-meat burger.

Ive always been curios 

I have not tired it yet

They use GMO’s and a lot of chemicals for stabilizing. It’s a great idea, but like cake mix in earlier times, they’re not there yet with having it perfected.

• Jeff H

The truth is that no one is really certain about the long term health benefits or health problems.  While it is true that being plant based they are basically cholesterol free they actually have the same amount of fat as, for example, a Burger King Whopper and are significantly high in sodium.  Anyone with high blood pressure or on a low sodium diet for other reasons would do best to avoid them.  They taste similar to real burgers due to the processing they undergo and the various additives used to simulate the flavour of beef.

they compare them to meat but it does not fool me.  They hide it with spices and salt and sugar AND they cost more than a meat burger.

I had an incredible Whopper the plant-based Whopper. If I gave it to you as a regular Whopper you wouldn't even know it.

• Louis

Yeah they are both horrible. 

i would think they are

I have to reluctantly confess that I've tried both the Impossiburger and the Beyond Meat burger and they were both excellent. I only wish I had bought stock earlier.

No.   And nutritionally speaking, they're loaded with saturated fat and sodium just like real burgers.

Vegans do not want a product that tastes like meat.   People interested in health do not want all the saturated fat and sodium.

These products are a temporary blip IMO.   

• Louis

I don't it is about health either. People who go to a fast food restaurant for a meal are at best mildly interested in better health. But a lot of people  for one reason or another want to reduce their meat consumption. the fake burgers taste just as bad as the beef ones. so why not fake?