Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

Ballet: when is a turnout considered good?

Does good equal perfect when it comes to turnout in ballet?

Does it have to be 90° from each hip to be good?

I know it has to be like that to be considered perfect but good...?

And lastly, will all companies reject you if you don't have a perfect turnout (even if you have the rest that's required)?

Truth be told not every professional ballet dancer has perfect turnout but they are very close. There are ways of fudging it. But if you are far from it then I know of no professional ballet company who would take a dancer without really good if not perfect turnout. The reason being that almost all of ballet comes from your turnout. Having poor turnout limits what you can do in ballet more than any other limitation. 

I think it's probably contextual. What is good for smaller regional company and what is good for a world class ballet company are unlikely to be the same. Different companies also have different aesthetics and repertoires emphasising different styles, which will influence turnout requirements. I'm quite confident that perfect turnout is not required in all instances, and is one important consideration among a package of other considerations.

I have no idea. I don't have a perfect turnout but my dance teacher says I have a good one so I guess "good doesn't equal perfect" in this case.

probably when they do a good job dancing