Why is it that when enough people start bullying and hating on one person more and more people join in the hate party?

I feel this is very much the herd mentality and I think that a LOT have the heard mentality. I've seen this happen to others and it's happened to me.

• Favorite Answer

I've noticed this back in highschool. One person hated someone else, and the more known it got, the more people would join in to hate on him as well. Never once have I ever done that. Unless I have my own reasons to hate that person, I'm minding my own business. Always be a leader and not a follower. And always keep it real. Most of society lack those 2 traits.

• hammy

I had this happen to me so many times that I cannot even count. 

They do this because they enjoy it, they want to fit in with other people. So they all having something in common will make it incredibly easy to do so. If someone is touching you and insulting you, knocking the mess out of them will shut up the others. Human beings are a violent species. 

People are social creatures which has its up side and its down side. It's natural for followers to choose the stronger "winning" side. At some point, that would have meant shelter, food, and protection from enemies. It's hard-wired into us.

It's easier for people to do that than have their own mind and stand up to others.