Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Can you explain this English grammar rule to me?

What these people are talking about? Any external source which explains this grammar rule would be appreciated very much.

It's "What ARE these people talking about?", not "What these people are talking about?". 

John has six bottles of wine = John has six bottles and each bottle contains wine.

John has six wine bottles = John has six bottles. They are the kind of bottles that normally contain wine, but they are empty.

PS The person who wrote 'They were just laying there' is illiterate. Of course it should be 'were just LYING there'.

"53 billion oil barrels" describes the number of barrels and implies they are empty.   "53 billion barrels of oil" describes a large quantity of oil.  A standard barrel of oil contains 42 gallons, so 53 billion barrels of oil is equal to 2226 billion gallons.  The question is not about grammar, but is actually about knowing that the total number of gallons is equal to the the number of barrels times 42 gallons per barrel.  

In the early days of the oil industry the product was sold in 42 gallon steel drums that were transported using horse-drawn wagons.  Today we use cross-country pipelines or railroad tank cars and the barrel has become merely a hypothetical quantity.  (Rather like a "pint" of beer, except that a "barrel" contains 336 times more.)

• John1 month agoReport

I don’t get it! I still need to read more about this! I hope others shed more light on this!

Yes I "can". so "can" anyone else.

• John1 month agoReport

I am not a fun guy altogether.. I know it makes you smile, but not me.. sorry about it.. I just understand an educated answer with links to the reason of behind this... thanks...