Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

Is this a word: dishonourability?

I would say yes. There is a word honorability (honourability) =  the quality of being honourable which you can find in some dictionaries, so it follows that its negation via the dis- prefix would also be a real word even if not common or universally accepted.  I would accept it if I were to encounter it.  I definitely would understand the intended meaning.

The closest noun form would be 'dishonour.'

No -----------------------------

• Ludwig

No, it is not a valid word in 'Scrabble'.

Dishonorably is the word.

It is a word but very rarely used in English and when done so most often in translations from German.

Yes.  Just as you can add the suffix '-ability' to 'honour' to make 'honourability', you can add that same suffix to 'dishonour' to make 'dishonourability'.  Every possible prefix and suffix that may be applied to a root word is not in the dictionary, only the most common are, but that doesn't make those other possibilities not legitimate words.  

Here is an instance of the word being used in a criminal law textbook:

https://books.google.com/books?id=78BwtQWTxT8C&pg=...  

If that which is formed out of applying a prefix or suffix to a root word is intelligible and readily understood, it's a word.

No.

The word "dishonorable" or "dishonourable" is an adjective.

There is no noun form of the word.

If you use it in a sentence it should be obvious that it's being used to describe a noun.