elena asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

What's the best way to communicate a poor attendance policy for a part time employee?

HI all. I have a disabled adult child. He requires total support. He has 2 part time personal care assistants. They work different shifts. My weekly assistant is good when she is at work, but my major complaint is that she calls out too frequently. Many times, 30 minutes before her scheduled time. This leaves me in a desperate situation. She is calling out on average of 3 times a month. I usually let it slide, because I like her, but it happened again last week, and I finally said something..all I said was, "its really difficult on me when you call out last minute"...so, she cancelled her last minute appointment that she forgot about, and came to work, with quite an attitude. I tried to talk to her, to tell her how hard it is on me, and that I need more than 30 minutes notice...and all she did was "keep score" on all the times she does come...and with that, she said.."I don't want to get into it", and walked away. She made it seem like I was wrong....She's getting paid...this is not a favor, and I don't think it's ok to cancel on someone 30 minutes before (unless it's an emergency)..especially when she is so relied on. she knows it...so, I guess she was mad, even after I explained how I felt...and she called out today again...Please tell me how to handle this diplomatically...thank you

• Edna

You probably hired the personal care assistant through an agency, and she is being paid by that agency. All you have to do is call her agency and tell them about her poor attendance, and that you want someone different. Her agency will remove her from that job and replace her with someone else.

• Foofa

TBH it sounds like the opportunity for diplomacy is over. I'd probably be looking to replace her with someone more dependable.

You've asked this personal assistant to give you thirty minutes before calling in sick. She hasn't improved. Now it's time to talk to her employer about her excessive sick days.  If you're the employer, start searching for someone else.  Then fire her.

• TedEx

Replace her with someone you can count on.

maybe you should be taking care of your son, medicaid will pay people to take care of family members, that way you dont have to work or have people not show up

• elena4 weeks agoReport

No thanks...he's challenging and I already work full time.  I have him most nights by myself, and would like some time to go grocery shopping, run errands, etc.

• drip

I have never worked at any place, small or large, that doesn’t have policies for tardiness and missing a shift.  Tell her your companies policies and consequences of breaking them.  Then follow through with the consequences.

• martin

You have to fire her for good cause. She also is insubordinate.

Just like other employers, Warn that if the situation continues you will have to replace the worker.

Most business make that in  writing, Three such prolems and the person is terminated (replaced).

You want to have it in writing, counter signed by the employee if possible. Then when you go to court over "unlawful termination" you have some proofs as evidence.

If the person refused to sign, then you write "refused to sign" on the document in their stead (date and time).

Fire them....................

You need a new employee.

• Edna
      4 weeks agoReport

Did you hire her through an agency?  If so, tell her agency about her poor attendance, and they'll handle it for you.