Is Veterans Day for all military who have served, continue to serve, and are gone?

My uncle served in the Vietnam War and I want to send him a “Happy Veterans Day” greeting. He is 70 now. I’m asking because I might offend him. We do not celebrate Veterans day in my country but when we moved to the US, we do now. 

Update:

Thank you guys for those wonderful responses. I forgot to mention that my uncle served in the Army. He showed me some pictures of him during the war and he looked so young and it gave me a flashback of the war even though I wasn’t there. I wasn’t even born at that time. I’m 23 and I’m deciding if I should join the military. I’m choosing between the Army and the Marines. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

A simple note saying, "thank you for your service, I am proud of you," would be nice and appropriate.

• 4 weeks ago

All.

Memorial Day is primarily for the deceased military personnel.

• martin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You should wish him a happy veteran's day in appreciation for the difficult things a soldier has to do.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

YES!

It used to be just for the Veterans of the Great War, but since has been amended to include all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sally
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You won't offend him. Send it.

• Mike L
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Veterans is for all that have finished their service. Memorial is for those who never made it back.

• 4 weeks ago

Send him a friend card that says I thank you for your service. You are remembered on Veterans Day.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, it's to honor ALL veterans of U.S. armed forces.

He would most likely appreciate the greeting.

The holiday specifically intended to honor veterans who have died is Memorial Day.

Also, technically Veterans Day is to honor those who are no longer in the service.  The holiday to honor those *currently* serving is Armed Forces Day.

• 4 weeks ago

You will not offend him. He'd appreciate it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.