Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Can you enlist directly into an AGR position?

I wanted to join the army guard, but found out that Air Guard has a lot more opportunities for Active Guard/Reserve. So I could basically be active duty, but stay at home and go to school. Security Forces for example make about $27/hr agr. I currently make about 12...so even if I did SF, that would be awesome! My question is, can you enlist directly into that position, or would I need to enlist as a drilling guardsman, and then apply for AGR?

ah the dreams we have...

i say 'dream' because your chances of going from civilian to a highly-coveted AGR position is basically that...a dream.  there is about a 0.001 chance you can nab it.  why?  because there are a lot of people in that unit that more than likely would like to get that position because of reasons you cited (being active duty, but not worry about PCS, get a housing allowance, etc), and they are already IN and have 'paid their dues' and are going to get first shot at all of those positions.

another thing to consider:  you apply for those jobs like any civilian job.  fill out and submit a resume through USA Jobs, or via their forms if they require it (I think most those positions go through USA jobs now).  those with more experience, military knowledge, etc, are going to get first consideration.

• Daniel
      1 month agoReport

USAjobs is for civilian positions, which include Technicians.  AGR positions are not through USAJobs, they are through the state Guard HQ.  

• Daniel

Most likely not going to happen. 

AGR positions require applicants to apply for them, and one of the prerequisites is usually that you are already in the military (active or reserve component) and often hold the AFSC.  

You would have to enlist as a traditional in the unit and then apply for an open AGR position when it comes around.  No one is going to hire someone off the street for an AGR job when there are dozens of experienced 3P0s applying for the same position.  

• Jason

You need to be at least a 5-level in your AFSC (often a 7-level) which means you have a few years of experience. Your competition for the jobs is others who have 10 years of experience or more.

generally you need lots of active duty time to get an AGR postion.

they are not training positions

so, no, you cannot enlist for a AGR position