b asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 4 weeks ago

Should someone with a mild cold be around an elderly man with cancer undergoing immunotherapy treatment? ?

I have a cold, it's on its last legs but I still am showing some symptoms. My grandfather has kidney cancer and is undergoing immunotherapy treatment which is very different from Chemo. This treatment actually tries to reboot the patient's immune system. I know when someone with cancer, especially the elderly, are undergoing chemo they should avoid being around someone who is sick, but is it the same in this case? I am supposed to go over for dinner later. 

Ask your grandfather what his medical team have instructed.

Offer to visit for dinner next week instead, once you are over your cold.

Immunotherapy hopes to make the immune system recognize the cancer cells and attack them, "reboot" is a strange word to describe what it actually does. In short it doesn't matter if you have a cold.

No, don't go. What may be a small cold to you could really damage your grandfather.

• LAN

There is no problem.  Although common sense should tell you not to be around a cancer patient if you have a cold or the flu.

The most common immunotherapy for kidney cancer is Yervoy and/or Opdivo.  These do not mess up a person's ability to fight off a cold.  But why risk their health while they are dealing with cancer in the first place?  

Grow up and learn to talk to your family instead of posting questions here where no one knows nearly enough about his particular case to give distinctive answers.

• Pippin

His doctor should have given him guidelines about what is and isn't ok. There are many types of immunotherapy, and they affect the patient in different ways. They do not generally affect the patient's own immune system in leaving him more vulnerable to infection. (It's not like a stem cell transplant where they wipe out your immune system and rebuild it from scratch.)

If you're unsure, ask your grandfather and/or his caregiver.

• Jerry

NO, NOT FOR ANY REASON!!

• kelvin

no you should not.....