Can someone safely make $100 a day through the stock market?

You start at 250k. How hard or realistic does this feat sound? How guaranteed could you tell your closest friend that it is? Would you be willing to quit your job over it?

Favorite Answer

Even if I could guarantee a stock market income of $100/day, why would I quit my job? 

The stock market is only open 253 days a year.   I have no desire to live on $25,300/year. 

I'd invest the 250k, let it earn the stock market average of 10%/year by doing nothing, and keep my job, salary and benefits.

Some years the stock market loses half it's value.   Some years it doubles.   Over a LONG period of time, the average rate of return is about 10% which is about what your $100/day is.   But you cannot rely on $100/day.   You could go for months with zero. 

• austin4 weeks agoReport

The long haul is really what im looking for. $100 a day till the world gets noticably more expensive. Good to know the stock market is only open 253 days a year! I thought buying stocks in the stock market was investing money. Otherwise Im totally lost as to what it means to invest your money. Thank

That's 10% a year.  Not far off from just putting the money in a low-cost index fund like Vanguard 500, and just leaving it there, no trading.  My concern is that you ask for $100 a day, not $25k a year.  To get a consistent return over short periods, the return will be much lower.

• John

What matters is how well YOU will do in stocks. Try paper trading for about 6 months to test your skills and then put your money into it.

Nothing is guaranteed in the stock market, investing is about balancing risks.  My target retirement amount is about 2.7 million, so over ten times your start.  

• Judy

It's never guaranteed, but chances of making that much regularly are about zero. Don't quit your day job.

No, they cannot.

You'd be able to answer this question if you had close to $250k.

• Stocks can be a useful long term investment.  In the short term, there's money to be made but only at the expense of other investors.  Someone lacking experience who wants to get rich quick is an easy victim for the professional investors.  If you want to make a lot of money, start by working for an investment bank.  Once you've gained enough experience of how the market works and how you can influence it, you're ready to start investing on your own account.  Don't start unless you're ruthless enough to get rich at the expense of others.

• The Old Guy
      4 weeks agoReport

Your response is totally indicative to the fact you have no idea about the markets or how they work.

• ioerr

most people who try it themselves are going to lose all their money

They can .. but people can also lose 100 a day on the stock market

• austin4 weeks agoReport

Lol yea ok bud. I meant go positive from 250k.