Negotiator asked in PetsBirds · 4 weeks ago

Are chickens really a hybrid animal from the turkey?

• odd

No. However both birds are commercially bred to have oversized breast muscles for the meat; modern "meat" turkeys actually are too heavy to mate naturally and must be inseminated artificially to reproduce.

No, they are completely different species. Chicken originated in the "old world," in Southeast Asia about 5000 years ago.

On the other hand, turkeys come from the "new world" and were first domesticated in what is today Mexico. We do not know when they first evolved.

• marty

No.The chicken is a type of domesticated fowl, a subspecies of the red junglefowl. It is one of the most common and widespread domestic animals, with a total population of more than 19 billion as of 2011.

Mother Nature, however, has created what looks like a healthy chicken-turkey hybrid: the colorfully named Transylvanian naked neck chicken. The difference is that there are no turkeys in this bird’s ancestry. As its name implies, this breed has featherless necks

• oikoσ
      4 weeks agoReport

It's not that it LOOKS like a hybrid; the other name for it is turkhen

• Lôn

No, it's a totally different species. You'll never see a chicken/turkey cross.

• oikoσ
      4 weeks agoReport

I dunno. One of my roosters tried to tread a turkey hen. However, I must admit that I put him up to it. ;-)

• al

No, not even close.

yes this was proven by science a couple of years ago