An Acer monitor with a Dell computer?

I have a Dell XPS 8300 from 2011 that was never used. My husband s boss gave it to him when they were cleaning out their office. My job has an old Acer monitor just sitting there, not being used. My boss said I can take it if I want to. We re really tight on finances at the moment, so not in a position to get another computer for the kids. My laptop when caput over the weekend. I don't know if it's worth even attempting to fix or not. The battery needs to be replaced. When my daughter was doing her homework on Friday, a pixelated screen kept flashing and then the whole system shut down. It doesn't turn back on at all. 

Since we have this 2011 Dell at home, we thought we would just hook that up since we're only really using the computer for homework right now anyway. Would the Acer monitor work with the Dell? A colleague said the connections are pretty universal these days, but an older model like these...not sure. Thanks!

the connections are universal

As long as both your PC and monitor have the same video connections, yes it will work. The brand doesn't matter.